Penny for a switchers thoughts...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook 2 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2 GB DDR2 SDRAM, OS X 10.4.8
Hi guys, jsut a quick one.

I'm doing an Open University course in web development at the moment. I've been doing it on a windows desktop untill now. The majority of the course is writing html code in notepad, saving it as .html files, then viewing them as web pages.

I though i would be able to do the same thing with my macbooks textedit application, but my code comes out all gobbledegook on the page. Is there something on mac OS X that i can use to edit my HTML files? Or maybe there is a nice free mac html editor out there that allows me to work wit hthe raw code.

Please not that i dont want to write something in textedit, then save it as an html file. Thats not the same as writing the code myself.

Thanks in advance, Ben.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" Retina 5K iMac 3.2Ghz Quad 24GB RAM, 1TB HD. iPhone 11.
Hmm, I too have just made a web page in Text Edit, saved it as an HTML page but when I view it I just see the code and not the page itself like it's still a text file. Don't understand why that's happening.

In the mean time have you tried Nvu? It's is a pretty nice FREE cross platform HTML editor, much like Dreamweaver.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air | iPad | iPhone | iPod Classic | iPod Shuffle | no more money
Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
Hi guys, jsut a quick one.

I'm doing an Open University course in web development at the moment. I've been doing it on a windows desktop untill now. The majority of the course is writing html code in notepad, saving it as .html files, then viewing them as web pages.

I though i would be able to do the same thing with my macbooks textedit application, but my code comes out all gobbledegook on the page. Is there something on mac OS X that i can use to edit my HTML files? Or maybe there is a nice free mac html editor out there that allows me to work wit hthe raw code.

Please not that i dont want to write something in textedit, then save it as an html file. Thats not the same as writing the code myself.

Thanks in advance, Ben.

By default TextEdit uses rich text format rather than simple ascii.

See the reply above for instruction on how to change this behavior.

There is an Emacs for OS X download at the apple software site btw.

Amen-Moses

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0Ghz Core 2 Duo
Another vote for Smultron here.

Also TextWrangler.

M

MacHeadCase

Amen-Moses

Exactly what Amen-Moses says. The gobbledegook you see is all the hidden characters Rich Text Format adds to the file.

But if you want more bells and whistles there are plenty of HTML editors for Mac OS X out there. You can even take a look at TextWrangler (like MrJoshua pointed out), another freebie, or TextWrangler's big brother, BBEdit (this one not free though).

Check out RNDdave's link, it's got very good info.

OP
LostDog4
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook 2 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2 GB DDR2 SDRAM, OS X 10.4.8
Thanks guys, great feedback!

I have changed textedit from rich text to simple, its really just so i can practice when i'm on the go. I'll be using dreamweaver on my *cough* windows machine *cough* as my final editor.

This is great so that i can practce on the move though!

Thanks. Ben.

Reaction score
wow, I was wondering why TextEdit wouldn't work with html files even though I saved them as .html . Thanks for the rich text -> simple fix!

I've been using TextWrangler to do my editing since I couldn't get TextEdit to work. Its free and has quite a few features. Definitely worth a try.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive

Amen-Moses

Emacs comes with Mac OS X. I use it occasionaly when I need to do keyboard macro like things.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.