Firefox, Passwords & an AppleScript

Reaction score
Firefox 2.0.0.2's password memory ain't what it used to be.

Sites such as my web-mail ISP instruct the browser to never allow the password manager to retain the log-in information. But it was possible to get around this with the bookmarklet Remember Password that short-circuited the amnesia. But not with the newest Firefox.

Typing my email address and password over and over and over gets old fast. So I cobbled this AppleScript together to haul up the ISP's log-in page, fill in the blanks and continue on to my mail. The log-in page has only two fields, and the cursor goes to the first one automatically without the aid of the script. But if anyone else is in the same boat with Firefox 2.0.0.2, you might be able to edit this thing to make it work for you. (And I don't know whether it would work in anything older than Tiger, or whether QuickSilver would make it redundant.) The keystroke tabs bounce the cursor to as many fields as there are on the page.

I haven't figured out why the script opens a new page, but because it does, there should be at least one page open before it runs, otherwise the script might bog down opening both while it's typing.

Depending on the speed of the machine and whether the page is cached, the delay could be shortened or lengthened to 5 or more, and a delay inserted before or after the tab.

If you try it, save it as an application. Keep in mind that your password is in plain text. This is the one I wrote for the ISP (without the pertinent info.)

tell application "System Events"
tell application "Firefox" to Get URL "http//blahblahblahblahblahblahblahblah"
delay 4
tell application "Firefox"
activate
tell application "System Events" to keystroke "[email protected]"
tell application "System Events" to keystroke tab
tell application "System Events" to keystroke "mypassword"
tell application "System Events" to keystroke return
end tell
end tell

Take that, Firefox.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.