Best way to remove/lessen the scratches on lid of White Macbook

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook (refurb), 1.83 GHz Intel Core Duo, 2 GB Memory, 60GB HDD
I stupidly didn't buy a case until it was too late and now I've got some scratches on the lid of my White Macbook. It isn't visible unless under direct light which is fine but if possible I'd like to lessen or remove the scratches.

Can anybody recommend any methods to do so?

In my initial research I've found:

iDrops
AppleSauce Polish

but will these work with my macbook?

Also, I'm thinking of purchasing an Invisible Shield after reading some recommendations online and in some threads previously in this forum. My question for those of you who have it or know about it, is does the shield make your macbook look much different? My worry is that the shield will make the laptop look plastic i.e. cheap.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0Ghz Core 2 Duo
As I've mentioned on 2 other recent threads about this issue, I have had great results using Brasso Liquid to remove the scratches, followed by a natural Auto Wax (Zymol Titanium) to protect the case.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks. After some researched I narrowed it down to 2 products which seem to be the most successful based on the reviews and comments. These were:

iDrops
and
Brasso Liquid as mentioned above.

After reading through may comments in forums and articles, my conclusion is that both seem to work pretty well. Many people have had success with both. Here's my opinion on both:

iDrops
Pros:
Amazing rave reviews from many, many people on the website and around the web generally;
Apparently very effective;
Cheap AND it comes with FREE WORLDWIDE SHIPPING;
Solution works with iPods and other things too (c.f. website for full details);
Great customer service; the guy who runs this company is very approachable and is a great help to dispell any fears or answer any questions you have.
Beautiful, beautiful website....(i know this isn't that relevant but it is gorgeous!)
Cons:
None apparent, except that it is a little more expensive than the Brasso Liquid.

Brasso Liquid
Pros:
Amazingly effective; please look at that link I've given for Brasso - the pictures will make you gasp!
Amazingly cheap too! Only £2 in england (not including p&p for online)
Apparently takes the same amount of time as the iDrops to clean.
Cons:
Well it works by taking away a bit of plastic from the top of your iPod/Macbook etc. Which leads me to think that you cannot use this more than once, maybe twice before it will degrading the quality of the casing/surface.

So I decided to go for the iDrops and they should be arriving sometime in the next 2 weeks(I'm a international customer to podshop.com). I'll post again when I've actually tried it out but I'm quite excited - I will be so happy if it removes the scratches from my lid!

p.s. I've also bought the Invisible Shield to protect my Macbook after I've cleaned the scratches. I will also post something about it after I've used it for a while. My only note for now is that it is REALLY expensive.

Reaction score
Best way to remove/lessen the scratches on lid of White Macbook <black>

Hi, so i bought a macbook like 4 months ago, and i have made a great effort to keep it intact, but i guess its very hard.. i just wanted to know how it all worked out for u, and id like to know if it works for the macbook black...thanx

Reaction score
Hey guys! I've just ordered the idrops ill let you know how effective they are!!

Reaction score
I can't believe that iDrops works any different than Brasso. A polish by it's very nature is a mild abrasive that works by removing material to the depth of a scratch to make the scratch "disappear" or make it less noticeable. Car polishes do the same. You remove small amounts of the paint to remove scratches. As long as the polish is mild, it would take a lot of use to do any real damage.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry. I forgot to report back.

Put simply: iDrops didn't work for me. For any prospective buyers of iDrop I'd suggest it's worth trying them out because of the rave reviews it's gotten from a lot of people and the fact that it's quite cheap.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Beautiful, beautiful website....(i know this isn't that relevant but it is gorgeous!)

This made me curious and I went to check out the website. It was quite interesting because in firefox, the colors are muted and woodgrain texture is shifted to the right by a pixel.

I checked it in Safari and the colors are highly saturated and everything aligns up correctly. Just found that interesting. ^-^"

Thanks for the heads up on the product though. Sorry it didn't work for you.

Reaction score
hey, ive got the white macbook. been trying my very best to keep it scratch-free but, failed.
so, does this idrop really work ?
and the invisible shield is it easy to put it on?

thankssss :)

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
idrop didn't work for me. If I was doing it wrong, then my thoughts are that it's too hard to get it 'right'!

Invisible shield was a pain (import tax from america - i live in UK - was also extortionate) to put on, didn't align properly, and felt cheap.

After all my experience, the best solution I've found is something really simple and costs nothing - just take super care of your macbook.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2008 MBP
If the goal is to make the white book look absolutely brand spanking new, then this is the way to go.

NC-78-1 Acrylic Restoral Kit [3KNC781] - $42.79 : MICRO-SURFACE FINISHING PRODUCTS, INC

The only word of warning is that it takes time to use and will require considerable effort, but the results will be much better than the methods that rely on waxes to fill in the small scratches. I've even used this on old ski googles and gotten scratches out to the point that they looked brand new.

For anyone that decides to go this route, the trick is to make sure you start with the roughest grit you need and use it until the scratches you are after are gone before going to the next finer grit... and also use the rubber block they include and go in circular motion never back and forth.

aps

Reaction score
idrops

i got a macbook last week and did not buy a sleeve for it immediately. Now i am paying the price as there are scratches all over the lid.. I read some good reviews about Idrops and wanted to try it.
Any suggestions about where i can buy Idrops? I live in UK and when i looked online it would cost £14 ... But one of u guys mentioned above that its cheap and wont cost more than £2-£3 ...
any suggestions
Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBp 2.4ghz, 4 gb + apple 20" Cinema
A fine car finishing compound (3M is good) then Auto Glym polish will do the job, the polycarbonate is fairly soft hence scratching easily, so will compound out well. Ultra deep shine is the best polish once the scratches are gone. Good luck..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.