Firefox video problems

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15", 2.16 ghz, 1GB ram, 120GB; iPod Classic 80GB; iPod shuffle (2nd gen); iPhone 16gb
Just wondering if anyone has any idea why I can't get Firefox to play embedded Windows Media or RealPlayer files, even though I have both installed on my system (and have actually followed the links directly from the Firefox plug-ins page, to make sure that I have the right ones installed)? Whenever I come across a video, the browser always tells me it's searching for the required plug-in but it always returns that it's not able to find it, and that I can manually install it if I know what it is. Of course I've tried a few times but to no avail.

Safari, on the other hand, will play Windows Media files but only by opening them IN Windows Media Player, not actually playing them in the browser window. I don't like Safari and don't want to use it anyway, so that's kind of beside the point, but I would like to be able to view embedded videos in Firefox! I actually had to boot into Windows the other day just to view some video clips!

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

OP
stevo-m
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15", 2.16 ghz, 1GB ram, 120GB; iPod Classic 80GB; iPod shuffle (2nd gen); iPhone 16gb

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.