Wii and MacBook not playing nicely...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0 GhZ, Black
So I got a Wii for my birthday and was able to get everything set up online without a problem. However, I noticed that every time I would do something online with the Wii, it would interfere with my MacBook's reception from the router, and I would have to do one of the "power cycles" of the router to get the MacBook going again. I updated my router's firmware, but that didn't help. (I have a LinkSys WRTG54.)

Someone suggested that I mess around with the Wii's IP address, as it sounded like the MacBook and the Wii were hijacking each other's signals. I did that, increasing the last 4 digits of my IP address by one on the Wii. That seemed to work for a while, and I thought my world was happy again. I could get online with the Wii and my MacBook at the same time.

But last night the problem resurfaced. Does anyone here have any suggestions about how I could fix this? I know I could just not use the two at the same time, but that would be a hassle. I would prefer to keep my WiiConnect24 on. Plus, it's a pain to cycle my router all the time.

Cheers for the advice!

OP
crazyivan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0 GhZ, Black
Actually, after a bit of research, it appears that this whole thing might just be related to my MacBook, and has nothing to do with the Wii. Apparently, it's a pretty common problem for the MacBooks to drop signals completely at random. I'm looking into a few different methods of fixing it. A couple people have switched from WEP to WPA2 which seems to clear things up.

Anyways, just wanted to say thanks to anyone who read over my problem.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.