Airport Extreme Questions

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am thinking about getting a Airport Extreme router but like to have some answers before I do.

Ok let me explain, first of all I already have a netgear modem router it about 2 years old and it in a different room from where the office systems is. The reason to this cos there is no phone point where my computers are.

I am wondering if I got a Airport extreme to put in the office can i pair it up to the Netgear router to get it internet connection? If yes How?

Now the next question is can i get a usb hub to plug into the usb port of the router and add a printer and a HD to it so i can print wireless to the printer and share the HD too throu wireless as I have a Mac Book Pro.

Hope I make sense to the above

Cheers

OP
R
Reaction score
Can no one help on this? Really want to get one today if possible but want to be sure it does what i wanted?

OP
R
Reaction score
Ah well Look like i have to go and try it if not then take it back for a refund :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
I haven't tried it my self but I think it should work. You certainly have to hardwire for pairing but otherwise, there shouldn't be any problem.

Airport extreme uses Samba server. Therefore it is possible to attach a printer and an external HDD.

OP
R
Reaction score
I haven't tried it my self but I think it should work. You certainly have to hardwire for pairing but otherwise, there shouldn't be any problem.

Airport extreme uses Samba server. Therefore it is possible to attach a printer and an external HDD.

If I have to Hardwire to get the internet connection then I wont bother. Is that what your saying?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
What I meant is ,you have to connect both modems with a (patch)cable.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently shopping for my first Mac.
I don't know very much about the Airport Extreme, but I have been looking at it myself and it looks like a nice piece of equipment.

Theoretically I would think you could use a USB hub to add more USB devices, but I really don't know for sure. If you buy the Airport Extreme, let us know it if works.

You said that your Netgear router is also a modem, so I'm assuming that you have to keep it on the network. If so, remember that you can't have two routers on the same network, because the DHCP servers will conflict. Now what you could do, and what I did once, is to put the Airport Extreme on a different subnet. It would be simpler to disable the wireless on your Netgear router, but you don't have to.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.