Boot Camp Vulnerable?

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to this forum so I am sorry if this has already been posted. Please lock this thread and direct me to the other thread if so.

I am currently using a PC but I am soon upgrading it (Either to Vista or Nice and shiny iMac). The main thing swaying me to iMac is that it runs Boot Camp. Correct me if i'm wrong it runs Windows XP and Vista.

The main question I want answered is if i was running boot camp with vista on it and i was browsing the web through (vista - boot camp on the iMac) will i be vulnerable to spyware, viruses, adware and all the other nasty bugs?

So in summary, if i was using internet explorer 6 or 7 on vista on a imac will i be protected with iMac's strong defences?

Thank-You. (And please, the honest truth)

Reaction score
When you are running Windows (any flavor) through Boot Camp, you are really running Windows. So you're subject to all the viruses, spyware, etc. than infect Windows machines.

The difference is that the Windows part of your computer is fairly separate from the Mac OS X part. So while the spyware, etc., can slow down your Windows installation it won't affect your programs or (as long as you're careful) data on the OS X side.

What you'll quickly find is that you will do most of your web-based stuff (browsing, email, etc.) on the "Mac" side of things. You'll only use Boot Camp to run specific programs that you can't get to work one way or the other in OS X.

OP
Messina_Tifoso
Reaction score
okay, i understand. thank-u very much for the quick responce.
With leopard, i heard that it already comes with boot camp. does that mean it already has the windows (either xp or vista already installed on it) and can u run it simultaneously with mac os x leopard?

Reaction score
I don't have Leopard so I can't say for sure.

I doubt it comes with Windows; you'll have to own/buy XP SP2 or Vista and install it separately.

My understanding is that they plan to allow you to run both OS X and the Boot Camp OS simultaneously. I have no idea how that will work. Sorry.

OP
Messina_Tifoso
Reaction score
thats alright. so to run windows i have to buy the actual os - be it windows xp or vista.

Reaction score
I know that's the case with both Boot Camp beta and Parallels.

OP
Messina_Tifoso
Reaction score
that ends up being quite expensive doesn't it? leopard hasn't been released yet hasn't it? any news on the iMac getting a new design for the new OS?

OP
Messina_Tifoso
Reaction score
If I use Safari or just have the iMac on most of the time with the internet connected, do I need a firewall or anti-spyware products? Because it can't really be hack proof...can it?

Reaction score
Messina -- WinXP is expensive, yes. So the question you need to ask yourself is whether you need Windows on your new Mac.

Leopard is expected Soon™. Whether that means a month or six months I couldn't tell you. Since 10.5 won't be a resource monster like Vista, there is no need for Apple to redesign the iMac. Whether or not a new iMac comes out this year is anyone's guess.

The firewall/spyware question is addressed in a sticky note in the Switcher section, and the discussion there is far more detailed than I could get into by myself.

Reaction score
I too have a question regarding bootcamp. I hope you don't mind that I ask in your thread Messina.

I want to know if you have to boot up Windows, or if you can run Windows and switch back and forward instantly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I am currently using a PC but I am soon upgrading it (Either to Vista or Nice and shiny iMac). The main thing swaying me to iMac is that it runs Boot Camp. Correct me if i'm wrong it runs Windows XP and Vista.

Thank-You. (And please, the honest truth)
OK, here is the honest, no-holds-barred truth:
As you have found out, Windows is vulnerable no matter how you run it.
From your reasoning, it doesn't sound like you really want a Mac.
If your only reason for wanting a Mac is because it can run Windows via BootCamp, then that is IMO a very weak reason to be buying a Mac.
You don't want the Mac for what Mac offers, you only want it to run Windows.
You want Windows, plain and simple. Getting a Mac because it can run another OS simply negates the whole concept of getting a Mac. The idea and concept behind getting a Mac is because it is different from Windows. Running Windows on a Mac can be convenient, but should only be occassional (read: hardly ever). If you absolutely prefer, or must run Windows, then you are better suited with getting a Windows-based computer and not a Mac.

Reaction score
and right now bootcamp DOES NOT suport vista at all. i have seen vista ran via bootcamp once and it was nasty nothing worked beecause of drivers and other things.

OP
Messina_Tifoso
Reaction score
I too have a question regarding bootcamp. I hope you don't mind that I ask in your thread Messina.

I want to know if you have to boot up Windows, or if you can run Windows and switch back and forward instantly.

your welcome to, fire away...:cool:

OP
Messina_Tifoso
Reaction score
OK, here is the honest, no-holds-barred truth:
As you have found out, Windows is vulnerable no matter how you run it.
From your reasoning, it doesn't sound like you really want a Mac.
If your only reason for wanting a Mac is because it can run Windows via BootCamp, then that is IMO a very weak reason to be buying a Mac.
You don't want the Mac for what Mac offers, you only want it to run Windows.
You want Windows, plain and simple. Getting a Mac because it can run another OS simply negates the whole concept of getting a Mac. The idea and concept behind getting a Mac is because it is different from Windows. Running Windows on a Mac can be convenient, but should only be occassional (read: hardly ever). If you absolutely prefer, or must run Windows, then you are better suited with getting a Windows-based computer and not a Mac.

not really. although they way i wrote it, it does seem like that. I want an iMac, because its totally different to a PC. Everything about it seems head and shoulders above a windows based PC. Boot Camp is something that is also helping me go towards a iMac, as I may have applications that don't run on MAC OS X i'll need to use boot camp. But i'm not rushing out to get an iMac because Leopard can be released any moment. Or can be released next year. I just want to see how its new operating system, well, operates lol.

I want to see if there are any flaws, but i doubt as many as vista had.

So waiting...:blind:

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
It will not be next year. Leopard will be out this year, I would say either before or at the beginning of the summer.

Reaction score
A program such as Parallels, that runs Windows under a virtual environment — meaning Windows would run more slowly than if it were booted up directly using Boot Camp — allows both systems to be run at the same time; you could drag files directly from one OS to the other. Parallels is working to speed things up, and each release is faster than the previous one, apparently.

Microsoft has upped the ante with Vista's licensing. Only the premium editions allow virtualization. With the less-expensive home-type editions, you could run Vista legally on a Mac only with Boot Camp.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
uhh, what that in months. i live in aus...

Their summer is our winter, well close enough. So I reckon it'll be out around mid year. June-August/September.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.