Built-in isight not detected

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac intel Os x 10.4.8
Hello...
I have a iMac intel OS X10.4.8
I recently attempted to make a video call using Skype, but the video setting was not working, i then tried to change the video preferences but no camera was being detected. I then quit the application and tried to run Photo Booth, the error " Photo Booth cannot open because no camera is attached or the camera is in use by another application." I therefore checked the programs running in the Activity Monitor. No other (isight) applications were running. I then deleted Skype thinking this was the problem. Checked the System Profiler, isight nowhere to be found. Tried updating software but i was up to date. Scoured through different discussion forums, reset the SMC, tested hardware, i even ran a archive and install, still no joy.
At the moment i am blaming the firmware update as this is the only thing that i have done which has changed my system. Searching everywhere to remove firmware is impossible, and i think i am now in a place where i have to do a clean install and thats the only way i know how to wipe out the firmware.
Could anyone give any advice as i don't want to delete everything and then find out its actually the hardware that needs replacing.
Thank you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" C2D 2.4 ghz 2gb iMac 20" C2D 2GB 256MB Graphics Macbook C2D 2GB Powermac G4 Dual 450
did the thing just quit on u or did it never work in the first place?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" C2D 2.4 ghz 2gb iMac 20" C2D 2GB 256MB Graphics Macbook C2D 2GB Powermac G4 Dual 450
try running some maintnence software like onyx and see if that helps...if not, take it to apple...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac-24 Core 2 Duo 2GB + G4
iMac - Built-in isight not detected

I'm having the same problem with a new iMack 24 (Intel). I bought a new iMac in January and within a week the camera was no longer recognized. After 2 hours on the phone with Apple support they finally agreed to exchange the iMac for a new one. The new one arrived on Feb. 7 and worked fine until yesterday when Photo Booth stopped working with the "Photo Booth cannot open because no camera is attached or the camera is in use by another application" screen appeared. Looking in the System Profilier, there is no listing of the iSight camera on the USB Device Tree.

I just installed the iPhoto Update (v. 6.0.6) and updated the OS to 10.4.9 today and it made no difference (still no camera available).

The computer is still under warantee, but I'm reluctant to phone Apple since the last go-around resulted in (2) wasted hours and then (10) days without a computer while they waited for the first iMac to be returned and then sent the replacement one by the slowest (cheapest) possible route.

Does anyone know what's going on? Apple sure doesn't seem to.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I hope I remember right, Reboot and right after the chime hold down all at the same time the following keys: Apple-Option-P-R and wait for at least 2 startup chimes. Then let go and see if the camera comes back.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Air, 20" iMac 2.17 Ghz 1GB
Also instead of simply restarting actually do a shut-down where it totally powers off the computer. In my experiences, unresponsive iSight problems like this for me have always been solved by totally powering off and turning the computer back on; whereas, simply restarting the computer seems to not actually clear up the hardware not responding.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I was hoping he already tried a power down. This is not a simple restart, it's resetting the PRAM. I am sure I saw that as helping fix a iSight not found issue somewhere.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks guys,

I've already done the power down dance. I've powered down for 30 seconds with all cables removed. and zapped the PRAM twice (3-chimes each time).

Still no Photo Booth and still no indication that a camera exists on the USB tree.

It's looking more and more like a hardware issue again.

Thanks for the suggestions.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Strange it's happened twice to you on two brand new machines. I will some more looking around and if I find anything will get back to you. My iMac 20" iSight has never done this in 1.5 years now.

M

MacHeadCase

I'm about to leave for school so really can't get into this too deeply, I'm lacking time right here but before I leave some ideas for others to develop. I googled for built-in iSight not found and saw some problems arose with the use Skype, Parallels and Windows XP.

I searched Apple's Support and came up with this: Boot Camp Beta: Requirements, installation, and frequently asked questions (FAQ) which refers to this article Mac OS X: Firmware Updates for Intel-based Macs.

Might not help, though.

Just a question: have you updated to 10.4.9? The reason I ask is that one of the fixes this update brings is, according to MacInTouch: USB video conferencing cameras for use with iChat.

Might be worth a try...

Anyways, a good day to you all. I'm off.

*Whoosh*

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Strange it's happened twice to you on two brand new machines. I will some more looking around and if I find anything will get back to you. My iMac 20" iSight has never done this in 1.5 years now.

Yes, exactly my thoughts. I have not installed any third-party apps. the use the camera (at least to my knowledge).

Update: After leaving the iMac off all night and starting up cold this morning, the camera now works.
Photo Booth loads correctly and System Profiler shows "USB High-Speed Bus - Built-in iSight>
Version 1.84
Manufacturer Micron
Product ID: 0x8501
Vendor ID: 0z05ac

I've started almost all of my normal applications, and the camera still works!

Last night the camera was not listed in System Profiler, and I powered down and restarted a number of times. Of course, I only waited 30 seconds to restart. I'm wondering if this is a thermal intermittent. the cooling slot on the iMac 24 is just below the camera location, and on my machine the exit air temperature is running 126deg. F. (inlet air temp. = 71 degrees).

I'll continue to check the camera periodically during the day as the computer heats up.

Again, thanks to everyone for your suggestions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iSight - iMac-24 UPDATE:

On my first iMac-24, the camera failed and would not work no matter what I, or Apple Support, was able to do. The camera was dead with all external cables except the power cord disconnected from the computer.

On iMac-24, No. 2, I was beginning to believe that the iSight camera was failing after the computer was on for a while suggesting a possible thermal problem. As it turns out, the camera was actually quitting only when my HP-2420d printer was powered up. System Profiler shows the iSight at the end of the High-Speed USB bus and the printer is listed above it. I also have a HP-2600n printer on the other USB port and that also shows above the iSight in System Profiler. Powering up the 2600n has no effect on the iSight, but powering up the 2420 now does. This was not the case for the first 6-weeks I owned this computer.

Anyway, I installed a D-Link 7-Port powered USB 2.0 hub between the iMac and both of the printers, and now the iSight works fine with the HP-2420d printer On or OFF.

Even more amazing to me is that that only reason I had this powered USB hub sitting around is that it would not work on a Windows XP machine where I wanted to add USB ports to connect a scanner and another printer.

Obviously, the iSight's internal USB interface is sensitive to what's connected to the iMac's external ports. (I did try connecting the 2420 printer to each one of the iMac ports and in made no difference. With the printer connected (and powered up) the iSight would quit.

M

MacHeadCase

Thanks for reporting back your findings! Other Mac-Forums members with the same problem will find this most useful!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
VERY interesting indeed! Thanks for posting that as it might help someone in the future.

TNV

Reaction score
my Isight disappeared also after installing xp with parallels desktop. I tried the Disk Utility, resetting PRAM, and various other quick fixes. Customer Service gave me one last option. Very easy.
Shut the mac down.
Unplug everything, including keyboard and power cable.
wait 30 sec to 1 min, plug in power and keyboard/mouse, Reboot.
This allows the system to do a full check of its available hardware.
Good luck!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
ummm

i have had this in xp but not os x.

my soultion was to wait a couple days for xp to think about what it wants to do (just used mac os x and xp as usual) and it sussed it out. But that was with bootcamp so i dunno

Reaction score
Very old topic but I am having this problem my iSight isnt showing up in the System Profiler and the only thing in my USB ports are an Apple Keyboard and a USB mouse(Not apple).
What can i do?
At the end of the USB high speed bus, it does say, Vendor Specific with these details below;
Vendor-Specific:

Version: a0.01
Bus Power (mA): 500
Speed: Up to 480 Mb/sec
Product ID: 0x8613
Vendor ID: 0x04b4

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.