idvd and superdrive vs external burner

T

thebluemonkey

Hi everyone!

Some of you have probably seen me posting for a month, my choice is almost done, I'm really close to switch but I've got an another question for you guys.

Since I am switching because I am so interested in garage band and the ilife suite, I've got a question about idvd. Can anyone told me what's the point about not having a superdrive for using idvd. Some reseller told me that without superdrive I will not be able to burn my dvd on a external dvd burner!

Is that true????

Thank's again to all of you who are helping me in my switching decision!

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
If you want to use iDVD to burn a DVD, you will need a superdrive installed. If you want to use an external burner, you will need DVD Studio Pro to burn.

OP
W

Wapa18

rman said:
If you want to use iDVD to burn a DVD, you will need a superdrive installed. If you want to use an external burner, you will need DVD Studio Pro to burn.

but apple just added a new feature in iDVD-- the ability to install iDVD on a system without a superdrive. the reason for this feature is so you can, say, build a DVD project on your ibook while on a trip, and when you get home to your superdrive-equipped imac, you can transfer the project over to the imac and burn it there. that might be part of what the salesman was talking about. :)

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
That is true. You can load iDVD with out a superdrive installed. You just can not burn a DVD with iDVD unless you have a superdrive.

OP
T

thebluemonkey

rman said:
That is true. You can load iDVD with out a superdrive installed. You just can not burn a DVD with iDVD unless you have a superdrive.

Is there anything to do about it?

OP
J

JeffRamos

iDVD and superdrive vs external drive

bells0 said:
there sure is!!

see this forum: http://forum.rpc1.org/viewtopic.php?t=23370&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

u enter the 2 programs in your home folder and hey presto, idvd can burn to an external dvd drive.

have done it myself, bought a Pioneer 107d and an external enclosure and burnt a New York trip to dvd via idvd with fancy menus, works a treat!!

Enjoy

Chris

I am operating Mac OS 9 since all my applications are OS 9 and not OS X. I am using iDVD 1.0 and I have downloaded the two files but I do not know where to place them. I can not find the "HOME" folder you are referring to. Please let me know where they belong. Can I still make iDVD work on OS 9 using an external drive?

OP
B

bells0

mmm sorry i think u have to running all up to date software, evem iLife 4 as far as i'm aware??

not totally sure, just know it works from me with everything bang up to date

OP
J

JeffRamos

Is there anyone else that has a similar set up as I do and is successful burning DVDs from iDVD?

PowerMac G4 1.0GHZ (upgraded from 400mHZ), 576MB RAM, External LaCie D2 DVD/CD burner, MAC OS 9 (Not OS X), iMovie 2.0, iDVD 1.0.

When I upgraded iDVD to 1.0.1, the program would not launch stating that I did not have the appropriate hardware (referring to the SuperDrive). So I reinstalled iDVD 1.0. At least the program will launch and I can make my DVD and save it. Now I need to get it to burn.

Thanks for anyone's comments and help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 2.2GHz powered by AMD Opteron - *Sends G5 & 8Gb Ram to scrap heap* Yeah! finally switched BACK!
rman said:

Apple's SuperDrive is actually a OEM Pioneer model with a Black Bezel or Front A103 or 10x (take x for the current model) In most cases you'll need OSX. unless you can find an OS9 Application to support DVD recording

OP
J

JeffRamos

hype.it said:
Apple's SuperDrive is actually a OEM Pioneer model with a Black Bezel or Front A103 or 10x (take x for the current model)

So, to answer your question. You could buy a Retail Boxed Pioneer drive and install it into a External enclosure. If it's a FireWire enclosure you should check it's Mac Compatible because some external boxed have been know to be a little unstable.

Hmmm, that's funny that you suggest that, because the LaCie Drive IS a Pioneer Drive. Not sure what the exact model is (would have to check the box or Toast), but it also has the Black front. I need to get this thing to work, or I suppose I will have to buy an internal one and then sell the one I have on eBay. But I'm pretty sure that LaCie is selling the same SuperDrive that the Macs come with, only it's external. Your comments are greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 2.2GHz powered by AMD Opteron - *Sends G5 & 8Gb Ram to scrap heap* Yeah! finally switched BACK!
no... LaCie buys OEM drives and put them in an branded enclosure.

The part about the black front is either what Apple changes before they add them to Desktop systems or, that's how OEM Pioneers come. A normal retail unit comes with a cream colour front bezel and the colour clashes if your case is aluminum coloured. Other than the front bezel and "apple approved sticker" on the unit, everything else is a standard OEM unit.

Your hardware profiler even tells you. haha If your running OSX, then all the applications will support this unit. However, i can't speak for any other brand.

Pioneer was the only official model supported from the first day they installed a SuperDrive in a Desk-top machine. however... in a Powerbook the Superdrive is manufactured by Panasonic. This Panasonic unit, can't be brought on the open market, not even in Hong Kong... because i need a replacement.. and apple. Well, they want to charge their special Apple price! About HK$5,000

:eek:

OP
J

JeffRamos

Well, obviously my external Pioneer DVR-106D is not being detected by iDVD. What are my options besides upgrading to OSX? I'm not exactly ready to upgrade since most of my essential software is OS 9.

If anyone is using iDVD in OS 9 with an external drive, please let me know how you have accomplished this. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Does Toast6 not work in OS9? I can't try it... haven't got classic installed and to be frank, i have no spare HD space :-(

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.