• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

How can I watch tv on it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Intel Mini mac 1.83 w/superdrive. iPod 80GB. Ipod shuffle coming soon...
Well, I live in england and want to turn my mac mini into an entertainment pc. I was going to get a 32" LCD TV and then dual boot vista home premium and watch TV on it (somehow) unless there are any programs which plays tv in OSX.

I would want to watch freeview though, what ways can I do this? Would I simply have to buy a tv with built in freeview tuner or is there any other way?

And what do I do about speakers? There is only a headphone slot on the mini mac, am I limited to 2.1 speakers?

Also, what cable would I need from the mac to the TV?

Thanks in advance.

M

MacHeadCase

Welcome to Mac-Forums, niko-time!

For multi-channel audio, you would need an external sound card (not the M-Audio internal cards shown in this link).

As for the TV questions you ask, I can give you links and let you figure it out. TV system here is not the same as in the UK:

Miglia's Digital TV and Analog TV devices. The CenterStage Project has a webpage with info/links to various TV Tuners (that webpage contains a lot of ElGato products... here's a more direct link/info to ElGato Systems). I've looked at the CenterStage Project and it seems to do the contrary of what you want i.e. it sends to a TV the movies and videos you have stores on your Mac to a TV.

This post by Aptmunich might interest you as well.

Hope this helps. :girl:

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the reply :)

The tubestick looks brilliant! Looks absolutely perfect for what I need it for. I sent them an email about it and shall await their reply.

For external sound cards, which are any good? Sound is quite an important feature to me, I would like to have a 5.1 setup

Thanks for the help

M

MacHeadCase

Somebody else will have to come in here 'cause that is beyond what I know. Sorry. :girl:

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Don't worry, you've been a great help :)

Reaction score
if you bbought that tv and your mac mini had the mini-dvi plug get the mini-dvi to regular dvi converter and you can connect it hi def that way. tehre are dvi to hdmi converters you can buy to hook it up via the 1 hdmi post it say it has.

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Would that be HD?

Thanks for the help

Reaction score
Why would you need a external sound card? Doesn't the mac mini support multi channel output via its optical ouptut?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.