Booting up and holding down 'option'

epb

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, 2,4 GHz Intel Core i5, 4 GB 1066 Mhz DDR3 RAM, OS X 10.8.2
I learned that you can hold down the 'option'-key when powering up to select which drive you want to boot from if you for example have a CD in the CD-drive that contains an operating system and you want to boot from that. I'm not sure i'm posting this question in the right forum as this hasn't got anything to do with BootCamp or Parallels, but here goes:

Is it possible to use this method to boot up from an usb HD? So, if I've got another OS (Linux or Windows or whatever) on an usb HD I just plug in the external HD and hold down the 'option' key on start-up to choose this drive Anyone familiar with this?

OP
E

epb

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
I say that because the Ipod was not made to be a full-time drive for running an OS... The life-cycle on an iPod HD is rated at around 20,000 hours... The HD in your MacBook is rated at around 750,000 hours. The heat generated by running an OS could damage an ipod. I have also heard of someone getting Gray Screen/Static on their Macs, and having to boot from the install discs to get back to normal.

My GUESS is that if you boot from it every now and then, your not going to have any problem.

The above is just a disclaimer. Don't get me wrong... I plan on doing it, just haven't got around to it yet. The "at your own risk" should be applied anytime you are using something in a way that it was not meant to be used.

OP
E

epb

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok I plan on using a 'normal' external HD (not an Ipod) so perhaps the external HD will be a bit more 'stable' in this matter...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
It will be PERFECT!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Intel Mac Mini with LG Flatron 20" widescreen LCD
If memory serves me right it has to be a firewire drive, because you cant boot from a usb one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Intel machines can boot from USB, but PPC's cannot.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.