• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

The end of Apple

C

Crowdaddy

When I buy my first apple, I know I will feel nervous in the back of my mind that Apple, as a desktop solutions provider, may cease to exist in 5 years. I have cruised the boards and opinion sites and saw this trend as well. Everyone is saying Apple is doomed due to the high prices, non-mainstream consumer usage (90% or something use systems other than mac), and over-emphasis on side-markets such as ipods and all that entertainment product type. What is your opinion? Are you nervous it might fall through?

OP
W

WilliS

nope...

have you ever seen apple stronger than right now?

os x most solid os from unix... ipod greatest music invention since the cd-r... G5 fastest computer available...

if anything, they are gaining ground... in 5 years i see apple owning close to half of the computer market...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
I don't quite see half, but at least 10%.. I don't seem them going anywhere anytime soon. microsoft has been shooting themselves in the foot for the many years now.. and in the last year they decided their 22 was not doing the job and switched to a 45.. Everyone is looking at different solutions due to the security holes, viruses, etc.. it's getting really bad for them. Governments, schools, corporations are looking for something else.. and the Mac is probably going to be that something else.

nope Im not worried at all. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
A sweet outlook for Mac as I see it! As Murlyn pointed out M$ couldn't have tried harder to make suckage for the PC world. As more doz users find the need for better, the difficulties in using Linux and BSD on the i86 are going to steer people to Mac. The advent of OS X and the iPod are sweet and extremely promising! Apple is here and on the rise!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
people always think apple will die... they are pretty much pointless lives.

Death to apple in 2004.. and 2003.. and 2002.. oh 2001- 1995...

What? this new mouse thing people will hate? theres no study that shows people will use this thing?.. idiots.

Last I checked M$ stock is at 25 (and down) Apple stock 27 (and up)... oooooooh.

2 years ago they were at 55-60 (M$)

OP
C

Chamorro

I agree w/ the other replies. People have been predicting Apple's doom for a LONG time. I think they're doing extremely well right now, and the fact that they are involved in much more than just hardware is encouraging. They're basically innovating for the entire computer industry....I just hope they have the business sense to hold on and expand their lead. That was their major downfall in the past - they had a great idea/product and others ran with it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Yup. This is just the beginning for Apple. BTW, I was amused to see a banner for Red Hat Linux when I first logged in today! :p

OP
M

Mr.Guvernment

os x most solid os from unix... ipod greatest music invention since the cd-r... G5 fastest computer available...
OSX - I agree

Ipod - how long have mp3 player been around? - dont agree

G5 fastest computer availible - i dont think so.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
iPod is vastly better then MP3 player! Are you even kidding? Have a look at them! (That's what I'm dong now in The Apple store :p And they rock! :)

OP
W

WilliS

not just mp3 player... its a firewire hard drive...and its 40 gigs at that... integrated with the best music player around itunes... and compatable with mac and pc......you wont find better, period

and im glad the industry isnt going by what you think :)... give me a test that is dual platform (i havent been able to find one) and we can compair my dual 2.0ghz g5 to whatever system you run... and i will put money on it that i will out perform you in virtually every task

http://www.barefeats.com/g5op.html

there is your g5 vs opteron (the fastest pc apparently)

g5 wins 3 of the 5 number crunching tests... it wins

once radeon comes out with an equally fast video card for the g5 (9800 8x agp and 256mb ram) then we can test to see who wins the 3D match up

but currently, if you want things done fast, tests prove g5 is faster..

oh and to buy an opteron that matches the g5 it would cost you $4100... to buy the same G5, $3400..... blows the "macs are expencive" issues out of the water eh?

not to sound like im being a jerk about it... but when you try to match up the dual g5 to some number crunching system built specifically for intensive tasks, and by no means for your everyday consumer, i tend to laugh....

what i did, to make you happy, was match up my macintosh PC (personal computer) to what anyone would consider far from a "PC".... it runs windows, but no consumer, with the intent to do everyday processes would buy a dual opteron...

frankly i find it funny that yes, the g5 can loose 2 of 5 tests to another system.... and you try to nitpick that my personal computer that i DO own, is not 100% faster than a computer that you WONT own due to the fact that its not ment for every day use as a personal computer.

thats like if i owned an xserve and saying that my uptime is much better than your on you windows xp home edition.... well lets see...the item i own is specifically desinged for exactly that...uptime... i hope it could beat your computer ment for the every day person.

the g5 is ment for the public... and those who own it, own the fastest personal computer available

the dual opteron.. even though it lost! is still the best the x86 world could throw our way to compete against it...

so there you have it... a computer ment for the public (G5) beat the dual opteron (a computer that hardly any person would go shoping for as a personal computer) in 3 of the 5 tests.....

*rant off*

OP
C

Chamorro

Not to start an argument, but did you see the results in the Dec 03 Macworld? I can't find the link to the story, but basically the Dual 2gHz G5 was beaten by top-end P4's and AMD's in several areas I didn't expect. They tested stuff like photo editing, data movement, video editing, and mp3 encoding....i.e. real-world usage. I was disappointed to read this, but the systems the G5 was tested against were more $$ than the G5, and were aimed at those beyond the "consumer" level.
I'd definately go for the G5, the OS is better, the hardware will most likely last longer, and the software integration is superior.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
It is going to be interesting once the OS and applications are optimized to run on 64bits.

OP
T

TylerMoney

Chamorro said:
Not to start an argument, but did you see the results in the Dec 03 Macworld? I can't find the link to the story, but basically the Dual 2gHz G5 was beaten by top-end P4's and AMD's in several areas I didn't expect. They tested stuff like photo editing, data movement, video editing, and mp3 encoding....i.e. real-world usage. I was disappointed to read this, but the systems the G5 was tested against were more $$ than the G5, and were aimed at those beyond the "consumer" level.
I'd definately go for the G5, the OS is better, the hardware will most likely last longer, and the software integration is superior.

I read that article...and the G5 was about equivelent...but with the money they had to put into the pc's....they were just as expensive or more...

plus....a lot of the programs and games they tested with the G5 weren't optimized for it yet....so it wasn't able to truly use it's dual power....slowely but surely....the G5 bench mark will kill.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
I agree, it's not totally accurate testing yet. BTW I went to look at Macs and Dells for the **** of it... At the Dell stand, one of the Dells XP was cough crashed :p HAHAHA! Big surprise! ;)

OP
S

Shakermaker

The end of Apple?

Are you an idiot?

Rolls-Royce owns 5% of the world car maarkets - are they close to going out of business!!??

Give yer head a shake.

OP
J

jasonf

I love my mac's and want to use the Xserve after I get my degrees and become a full-time IT employee. Otherwise, I have had Apple computers for 12 years now and they really are on top of things right now more than ever. The iPod is awesome, iTunes brought in close to $23.1 million for Apple (Apple receives .33 per song) and not to mention in my opinion is the greatest audio player software on the market, the G5 is the fastest computer out, iMac's are doing well, and OS X is the best operating system out today. It is super reliable, and your common Windows programs are getting ported to it (such as MS Office, Macromedia Studio MX, and almost all Adobe products), but Apple does a good job writting their own software (such as iLife). Lets just say that if I had money then I would spend it all investing it in shares of Apple computers. To bad being a student in college doesn't pay.

- Jason

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
I wanted to switch to Mac all last summer. But I had a perfectly good win ME. I should have crashed it more :p But after my bro went to college and his ME started about a months worth of crashapalooza, we both got Macs. This is the best personal computer I have ever had. I went Mac and I'll never go back. My perfectly good win ME is no more, it's a Linux Red Hat box now :)

OP
T

TylerMoney

As long as us 4% always buy mac, they'll be able to stay in business...and with all these other gongs on....I'm sure the 4% marker is rising....

OP
W

WilliS

... apple only owns 4% of the computer market?

can anyone find the actual percentages?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.