• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

The end of Apple

OP
D

drakester

lol okay first of all, rolls-royce doesnt own jack, especially not 5% of the worlds car market, rolls itself is owned by bmw, and bently is owned by vw. and apple isnt going anywhere anytime soon, one of microsoft's daughter companies owns 34% of apple's shares...ill try to find the link and post it.. and big bill sinks more and more cash into apple to keep it alive, he adds to the development of the mac os, and much much more that the naked mac user eye wont pick up. mac and pc users have more in common than u think.. but the moral of the story is big bill pretty much controls the entire computer market and influences the way computing will affect our lives forever

OP
T

TylerMoney

Well, as long as my apple always works and looks and feels like an apple, and as long as the os is this good, and as long as they make good software in the future, and they don't screw me out of being able to use important software that is currently available for both platforms, then I don't care how involved or in control senor gates is....and I'll be happy with that....yeah....alright.....chuga lug a lug....they're great!

OP
S

Shakermaker

witeshark said:
Yeah people can be annoyingly narrow minded. BTW the actual first drag and drop GUI was an Apple - my sister actually had one of those - no color, but icons and a windows type GUI... :)

Actually you're wrong - the first ACTUAL GUI interface was an IBM.

OP
S

Shakermaker

drakester said:
lol okay first of all, rolls-royce doesnt own jack, especially not 5% of the worlds car market, rolls itself is owned by bmw, and bently is owned by vw.

Then you just made my point even clearer.

If Rolls-Royce cars make up LESS than 5% of the car market, and they aren't going to stop making them - my point indeed.

Reaction score
I'm slowly sinking in the posts of Mac-forums
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
Shakermaker said:
Nope. It was by Xerox. Apple *stole* the GUI from Xerox.

OP
W

WilliS

drakester said:
lol okay first of all, rolls-royce doesnt own jack, especially not 5% of the worlds car market, rolls itself is owned by bmw, and bently is owned by vw. and apple isnt going anywhere anytime soon, one of microsoft's daughter companies owns 34% of apple's shares...ill try to find the link and post it.. and big bill sinks more and more cash into apple to keep it alive, he adds to the development of the mac os, and much much more that the naked mac user eye wont pick up. mac and pc users have more in common than u think.. but the moral of the story is big bill pretty much controls the entire computer market and influences the way computing will affect our lives forever
not to question your information, but frankly you're wrong.

microsoft baught shares of apple around 1995 or so. apple baught it back in 1997. but nice try, get with the times.... no daughter company...no secret conspiricy... no aliens working for apple... go get a job for the enquirer lol... and by the way...it was no where NEAR 35%.... no one owns that much of apple. i believe even steve jobs doesnt own that large of a portion of apple...

"big bill" doesnt sink ANY cash into keeping apple alive.... if "big bill" had anything to do with apple, he would have the systems running winxp, or having apples dev. team fix his longhorn os, so it doesnt suck so much when they do decide to release it....

and if hes spending money anywhere, it should be to keep his own employees from releasing longhorn all over the internet 5 years before its release date... lol what a joke of a company

whether rolls-royce owns 50% of the car market, or 1%, the point is that they are a car built for the elite few who can afford them, and they will not go out of business any time in the near future.... im glad to see you missed the whole point of that statement.

there is no "trying" to keep apple alive... apple is flourising on its own, it doesnt need the help of a billionare 44x over to keep it going... people have been using apples innovations for a long time now (dell with its new iPod wannabe, windows xp with its new colorful windows, to try to accomplish what apple did with aqua interface.. it will never end).... and they will continue to be at the forefront of industry development.

"big bill" controls nothing... his money is tied up in stocks..he cant get to it unless he sold microsoft...and doing so would drop the price of his stock while he sold it...

"big bill" owns a majority of microsoft...that i will agree to
"big bill" can influence a majority of the computer industry due to his near monopoly on OS's around the world... that i will agree to
"big bill" can offer up suggestions to the development team at microsoft, considering he is the CEO.

but "big bill" doesnt CONTROL anything....

but anyway.... im glad you have your facts straight... go argue somewhere else

**edit** sorry murlyn ;)... i forgot..i dont even know what you took out lol.. and 140 million is like pocket change to him ;)

140 million is .003% of his total worth. my total worth (being that im a college student) is probably like 10-15,000 max. $15000 X .003 = $45.65... pfft.. i would give apple $46 bucks if it keeps me out of a lawsuit, and made me look good to the majority of people ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Well Gates did invest 150 million dollars into non-voting stock of Apples.. I don't know the percentage of that, but whew.. it's a lot! And no reason for the name calling people, this is a "friendly" board.. try to remember that :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Shakermaker said:
Nope, the very first was Xerox, and that's where both Steve Jobs and Gates got the idea, the first personal computer with it was an Apple

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Shakermaker said:

What was the GUI that IBM created? I thought it created by Xerox first, from which Apple obtained it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
rman said:
What was the GUI that IBM created? I thought it created by Xerox first, from which Apple obtained it.
Yeah, I'd like to see that as well ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
Shakermaker said:
For the idiot that started this thread:

http://www.nme.com/news/108185.htm

alright, first off all.. please don't make personal attacks.

2nd...

apple is dead, everyone switch to windows. not to much longer and they will come out with a kickass OS which will compete with Mac OS10.0.4!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Graphite said:
alright, first off all.. please don't make personal attacks

2nd...

apple is dead, everyone switch to windows. not to much longer and they will come out with a kickass OS which will compete with Mac OS10.0.4!
Yup. That's what I heard too. Scheduled sometime between jet/warp powered pigs and the remodeling of greater tropical Siberia ;) :p

OP
S

Shakermaker

It was Xerox - my mistake....I knew that but gave the credit to Big Blue by accident...

My head hurts!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4 256MB 1.33 GHz, 60GB hard drive, airport extreme, combo drive. Also own a PM G4. Old Skool
My 2¢ which is not what I am worth. :D

Apple has the G5 with the 64 bit chip. (sorry for the non tech speak tonight) They seem to release new, faster Powerbooks and iBooks everytime I get closer to making a decision about which one to get, ;) and their stores keep multiplying. If anyone needed more examples. :D

Apple will be fine, we will be fine. Why? We're smart and we're using Macs ba-by. :cool:

OP
S

Stevejac

I've seen Apple's marketshare at 3%.
I think the big danger is of a misstep. Apple just reported a good quarter-- $46 million in profit. Microsoft, on the other hand, reported a bad quarter. $1.2 Billion in profit. Dell, I see, has revenues nearly 10 times that of Apple and growing faster than apple.

Microsoft has a cash reserve of $56 Billion. I don't know how much cash Apple has, but it isn't comparable.

What this means is that companies like Microsoft will have to try to get in trouble. If Apple makes a serious mistake... defective merchandise that requires a recall, a big malware vulnerability, or just seriously misjudges the market... it could be in trouble.

Hopefully, it won't happen.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
As I see it - not ruddy likely. More people are discovering the convenience of M$ worm fest fun and learning about systems that are not exposed. Unix BSD (Nextstep) is simply wonderful!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.