• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

The end of Apple

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Well I heard it's about 5%+ --But with last months virusapalooza and word getting out about OS X awesomeness It's gonna go up! :p I saw a guy looking at powerbooks and he said at least 3 times that it's too expensive. A movie demo later and some more talk he bought one! and a printer! :)

OP
T

TylerMoney

It was 4% for a long time...now it is definenlty growing....in the begining it was much more than 4%.....but..bad things happened...and then OSX, iTunes, and the iPod came out..not to mention amazing laptops, and the G5....apple is kicking ass...they just have to strategieze smartly.....and price competetively...right now it's ok that the g5 is expensive....but they will have to drop prices on older models somehow..in reality, I don't see how apple could die...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Begin!

Is the wormapalooza that just happened not enough? What planet are they from? Mars? :confused:

OP
M

Mr.Guvernment

How many did they sell to Pixar? that should jack up their % a little more :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
lol pretty much.. pixar is apple :D

OP
P

PowerbookG417

I really dont see any reason for anyone to be concerned with the future of apple since 1984 was the first apple that was released its been really nothing but up hill watching the products evolve into the the pieces of beauty we all admire and perhaps dream about. I work for a Major US dsl company..no names need mention'd but ever customer i talk to who ask's me " im looking for a new computer, what do you suggest i get " the first words are alwasy MAC and after running threw acouple of the amazing features they reak customers are almost ready to buy...i wish i worked for mac !

Reaction score
I'm slowly sinking in the posts of Mac-forums
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
No. Just. No. Nothing was going uphill.
1984 was uphill, but shortly went down. The Titanic was sinking, chopped it half, but then Stevey came back with lifeboats. Things went uphill from there. Now, things are going staight to ****, if Apple don't update the Mac lineup SOON/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
If the word gets out on just what we have here, but no worries!! in the mean time as the iPod is really kickin!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
iPod wont save Apple forever. iTunes Music Store wont save Apple forever.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Well I think Apple will cruise, people are sick and tired of the wormapalooza that has been cranked the last month, and you would be amazed to see how many people are in Linux to avoid doz, and Mac OS X blows that away... Just my looking at Macs in the store got me switched in minutes. I think it's gonna catch on! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not alot of people are going to look into Apple. Why? Because of OS 9 and down. They think those bent out Performa 550's in their schools are what Macs are really like. They will probably look into Linux.
Don't mind me, I'm pessemestic.
****, they might stick with their 1337 \/\/1/\/|)0\/\/5 cuz izz a teh bomb!!1

OP
T

TylerMoney

even if apple were to go into hard times again...they aren't coming to an end....they've had some terrible times...when steve left, they were in ****...now he's back...as long as he's here..they'll probably be doing just fine, or great. If he leaves...they'll do badly again...but they won't die..there are enough of us mac lovers out there to keep them alive...the company can sustain on us ....especially since more and more people are using their editing and audio software.....

OP
D

Dstreelm

witeshark said:
Many try Linux -- I have to! You gotta see the amount of problems there are in it! Look in http://www.linuxquestions.org/ and see -- in the newbie forums...

wow, yeah that stuff is definatly over the head of the average computer user. my biggest problem with the computing world is that many of the software developers dont seem to understand that most computer users arent software engineers.

that is where MS messed up. they require you to be able to navigate complicated menus to change options. to delete programs you have to run another program, or add/remove software which works...kinda

linux is great, if you have about 50 hours to learn how to use it and diagnose problems

i honestly think that if a light computer user actually used both windows and osx, they would pick osx 9 of 10 times

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
I think it boils down to being the best of both worlds. BSD Unix with Darwin as the kernel and the best GUI (as doz has always wanted to be) - see xpee imitating OS X Aqua!! I'll never forget how I knew I was ready to switch from my win ME the first time I saw OS X :) ;) :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
witeshark said:
I think it boils down to being the best of both worlds. BSD Unix with Darwin as the kernel and the best GUI (as doz has always wanted to be) - see xpee imitating OS X Aqua!! I'll never forget how I knew I was ready to switch from my win ME the first time I saw OS X :) ;) :D
doz... xpee... :rolleyes:

OP
M

Mr.Guvernment

Dstreelm said:
wow, yeah that stuff is definatly over the head of the average computer user. my biggest problem with the computing world is that many of the software developers dont seem to understand that most computer users arent software engineers.

that is where MS messed up. they require you to be able to navigate complicated menus to change options. to delete programs you have to run another program, or add/remove software which works...kinda

linux is great, if you have about 50 hours to learn how to use it and diagnose problems

i honestly think that if a light computer user actually used both windows and osx, they would pick osx 9 of 10 times

Complicated menus? How much simpler can it get? mmm, i want to copy somthing - Edit / Copy

done

Ctrl+C

??

Remove a Program - START / Programs foilder / unistall - ??? i dont see what is so hard about that (looking @ it from a newbies point of view)

personally if you stuck a new person in front of a MAC and a PC - i think they would get frsutrated with both and only be able to perform basic functions on either. I first used a MAC before windows and i had trouble for quiet some time - and i have a very steep learning curve.

If windows is SO complicated - why is it on so many PC's again.... :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Mr.Guvernment said:
Remove a Program - START / Programs foilder / unistall - ??? i dont see what is so hard about that (looking @ it from a newbies point of view) If windows is SO complicated - why is it on so many PC's again.... :D
Cause M$shaft and the GUI dumb it down just happened to appear first :D ;)

OP
T

TylerMoney

Because microsoft is a billion dollar corporation, and has the power to put it on every pc...plus...the only other thing pc users can use is a unix/linux system....aand the average person can't do it....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Yeah people can be annoyingly narrow minded. BTW the actual first drag and drop GUI was an Apple - my sister actually had one of those - no color, but icons and a windows type GUI... :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.