Macbook does not sleep

Reaction score
I don't know since when did it started happening, but my intel macbook cannot sleep at all! Everything was alright 6 months back when I bought it. The macbook is unable to go into sleep mode by any means - whether I use the sleep command from Apple menu, or use the timed-sleep function from energy saver preferences, or close the lid. Whenever I do any of these three things to make it sleep, the macbook's white LED becomes fully lit for a while, the display blanks for 5-6 seconds, and then the Apple logo on its cover lights up, and the macbook comes back to awake position without sleeping at all!

Things were not bad over the last month... it failed to sleep only occasionally. But I am not able to put it to sleep AT ALL over the last week, and this means I have to switch it off completely when I want to take it to school or office.

I searched the forums here, and also on Apple official support website. I have reset PRAM and NVRAM according to instructions here, and reset the SMC according to these instructions. But it did not cure the insomnia.

I created a new account with administrator access, tried sleeping from there, but failed. Created another account without administrator access, sleep fails from there too.

Some information on the internet points to quicksilver as the culprit, so I quit quicksilver, and it cannot sleep even then.

(Incidentally, I notice that bluetooth is now permanently "not available", and the bluetooth icon is not seen at all in the system preferences!!!)

Can someone help me? I don't want to reinstall Mac OS X during the middle of the semester :confused:

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
This is a shot in the dark, but have you tried doing thorough cache cleaning with onyx or mainmenu?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13'' Macbook w/ 2Ghz Core Duo, 2GB DDR2, 250GB HD, 10.5.4. iPod Touch.
I remember a time when my bluetooth icon in the menu bar reported that no bluetooth device was present. A restart solved this issue though.

What is really concerning is that this remains constant for you (I assume). There may be more going on than a simple software issue within osx if a device no longer appears in the system preferences.

OP
Anil_robo
Reaction score
This is a shot in the dark, but have you tried doing thorough cache cleaning with onyx or mainmenu?

Tried onyx. Did not solve my problems (unable to sleep, no bluetooth still). Looks like I should reinstall OSX during a 3-hour class in the school.:headphone

Reaction score
Same Problem Here

I have the exact same problem, Bluetooth unavailable and Insomnia, I have already posted the problem here, and none of the suggested solutions worked out for me...

Can you keep me posted on how the OSX re-install went? Did it solve the Insomnia/Bluetooth problems?

Thanks in advance,
Brent

OP
Anil_robo
Reaction score
I have the exact same problem, Bluetooth unavailable and Insomnia, I have already posted the problem here, and none of the suggested solutions worked out for me...

Can you keep me posted on how the OSX re-install went? Did it solve the Insomnia/Bluetooth problems?

No, a full reinstall (followed by updates) did not solve the problem. The MacBook is still insomnic - does NOT sleep at all! :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13'' Macbook w/ 2Ghz Core Duo, 2GB DDR2, 250GB HD, 10.5.4. iPod Touch.
I was unable to resolve my no-sleep issue, similar to yours. My macbook went to Applecare where it gained a new logic board. That seemed to solve the problem.

Reaction score
ugh

My macbook is doing the exact same thing, just started eliminating my bluetooth and now won't sleep, very discouraging! the worst part is this logic board idea, because i had my macbook taken away for 6 weeks to get the logic board replaced 8 or so months ago! If I have to send it back again I'm going to be a VERY unhappy customer... Anyone have any other fixes, I'm desperate!

OP
Anil_robo
Reaction score
Sorry to necromance this old thread, but just wanted to share the outcome.

The main logic board was replaced, and the problem was solved, only to recur after 4 days. Main logic board replaced again, and then I knew what's happening.

I play a game called Diablo2, and it works under Rosetta. It's not a very intensive game, but does heat up the CPU a lot because it runs under rosetta. I found it when I left the game running overnight, and found an extremely hot macbook the next day.

So I have bought a laptop cooler, it keeps the macbook about 10 degrees celsius cooler, and the problem has not recurred over the last many months even when I leave the game running overnight.

Thanks all for help!

Reaction score
I got here from Google, having the same issue.

Mine is solved now, it seems that having internet connection sharing on also disables the MacBook's ability to go to sleep...

Hope i helped someone out here!

Reaction score
Mine is solved now, it seems that having internet connection sharing on also disables the MacBook's ability to go to sleep...

Hope i helped someone out here!

Thanks a lot. Disabling "internet sharing" solved the issue for me too. It interferes with sleep even when WIFI is turned off.

Happy dreams for my macbook again!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.