Powerbook screen looks washed out until reboot

Reaction score
My wife and I have separate users on our Powerbook. When I first login, everything looks fine. When she logs in and then I switch back to my user, the screen contrast changes after the user switch animation is complete. It's normal during the switch animation, then there is a noticeable flash and it looks washed out.

After that, I have to reboot to get the contrast back to normal.

My wife and I don't have anything in our startup folders, the universal options aren't changing, and I don't see anything weird when I run top in the terminal. Even if my wife logs out it doesn't go back to normal.

Does anyone know what might be causing this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
this is a very strange known bug in OS X 10.4 (Tiger). There seems to be some issues with colour profiles used when switching users. The way to fix it is as follows:

1) Browse to the following folder: /System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/CoreGraphics.framework/Versions/A/Resources/

2) Run the program named DMProxy

This will fix the problem until the next reboot. You could copy DMProxy to /Applications/Utilities to have each access in future. I'm sure there must be an easy way to get it to run automatically on startup, so I'll have a fiddle and post back later.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.