AppleCare vs. Store Warranty?

Reaction score
I'm out shopping for a Macbook, or a Macbook Pro within the next few months. I've been to a couple retail stores, and asked questions about the laptops, and for any new information on Leopard.

Everytime I go in there, I'm asked if I am interested in warranty on the product. The sales staff at these various stores tell me that Apple warranty is "90 days parts, 1 year phone support", obviously it is a sales pitch to have their store-warranty seem much better. Reading on the Apple website I've learnt that the standard warranty that comes with any Apple laptop is 1 year parts/labour, 90 days technical support.

Either way, I'm not satisfied with a standard warranty. My laptop will be used for school daily, I'm just curious what other owners feel is better.

Applecare vs. Store Warranty.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Applecare. I never get store warranties. Store warranties are the stores way of making extra money off you, buying one is a bad decision.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
If you are interested in extending the warranty, then the only real choice would be going with Apple.
Other stores may be authorized resellers, but not necessarily all of them are authorized repair centers as well. Going with Apple will guarantee you that in the even something were to go wrong, it would be repaired by a certified Apple tech.
What Apple's site says is obviously the correct one, out of the two explanations you gave. One year parts/labor and 90 days phone support. You also have the option to extend it for the two additional years at any time while your first year warranty is active.
You are also better off simply purchasing the computer directly from Apple and not even getting a third-party reseller involved. Cutting out a middle-man is always the better choice, IMO.:black:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro 2.0GHz, 8GB iPhone
Definately go Applecare. It's cheaper with a student discount too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
The standard Apple warranty is 1 year parts, 90 days telephone support, not the other way around. Don't worry, though, if you need to call about a repair after 90 days - they won't cut you off. The 90 days telephone support is for things like "i can't figure out how to connect to my network" and other such 'getting started' problems.

Reaction score
High Wycombe, Just outside London, England
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.0Ghz, 2Gb RAM Early 2006, 30Gb iPod 5th Gen. 15" MacBookPro, 2.33GHz
If you get a store warranty and it goes a bit 'Pete tong' then you will have to take it back to the store. They will probably look at it and then send it to Apple at their expense. You could wait an unspecified amount of time for things to get sorted.

If you buy an Applecare waranty and it all goes wrong then you can take it straight to Apple.

I know which I would prefer.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Having just used a "store" warranty on one of my TV's, had the chance to speak with a couple of people at the company that actually does the service for most all the major electronics stores. Found out that the exchange policy if they are not able to repair a device due to no parts being available, etc., will not happen for 21 business days after the service company has determined the problem. If this is the case with computers also, it means you could be without your notebook for up to 6 weeks before they would replace it. I would definitely go with Apple for this. Bet there are not many who have been without for longer than 2 weeks from the time it was sent back to them.

OP
L
Reaction score
Perfect, these are the responses I was looking for.

I've also heard that it is not a "must" to purchase the AppleCare at the time of purchase you're given 90 days? Is that correct?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13 Inch, 2 Mac Mini's 1.66 & 1.83, 2- iMac Intel i3 iPhone 4 & iPad 2 32 gig.
I bought my Apple Care on eBay with a "Buy it Now" price of $219.00 with free shipping about two weeks after I bought my MacBook Pro. I saw one sell to the highest bidder or $178.00 w/free shipping. Not bad considering Apple has it for $349.00

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt
The standard Apple warranty is 1 year parts, 90 days telephone support, not the other way around. Don't worry, though, if you need to call about a repair after 90 days - they won't cut you off. The 90 days telephone support is for things like "i can't figure out how to connect to my network" and other such 'getting started' problems.

i had a 5month old macbook with a bad battery. they did nothing but tell me to take in into a store to have them replace the battery.

the only way i got around it is by insisting i was no where near a store, and told them they can mail me a battery. after speaking kindly with a sup, a new battery was overnighted.

point is... they will cut you off, and tell you thats not how they do it anymore. just be persistant

OP
L
Reaction score
i had a 5month old macbook with a bad battery. they did nothing but tell me to take in into a store to have them replace the battery.

the only way i got around it is by insisting i was no where near a store, and told them they can mail me a battery. after speaking kindly with a sup, a new battery was overnighted.

point is... they will cut you off, and tell you thats not how they do it anymore. just be persistant

This experience was with AppleCare or a store warranty?

Reaction score
Applecare is the way to go.

EXCEPT if they really outsource the support to India we're screwed to say the least.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.83 MBP
I bought my Apple Care on eBay with a "Buy it Now" price of $219.00 with free shipping about two weeks after I bought my MacBook Pro. I saw one sell to the highest bidder or $178.00 w/free shipping. Not bad considering Apple has it for $349.00

What's the difference between "ebay" applecare and Apple applecare? Considering you got it for a significantly lower price.

Reaction score

Hmmm, that sounds a bit shady. Did you verify that its valid? How can they sell it for so much cheaper?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
They can sell it so much cheaper because its hot.

Reaction score

LOL. Im sure they have a tracking # and needs to be activated, similar to Gift Certificates sold in stores.

They can sell it so much cheaper because its hot.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Since you're a student, you're going to like the fact that a student discount applies to Applecare, and it's a pretty significant chunk that they take off.

Macbook Pro
Retail: $349.00
Student: $239.00

Macbook
Retail: $249.00
Student: $183.00

Reaction score
Since you're a student, you're going to like the fact that a student discount applies to Applecare, and it's a pretty significant chunk that they take off.

Macbook Pro
Retail: $349.00
Student: $239.00

Macbook
Retail: $249.00
Student: $183.00

I just discovered that Amazon sells Macs. What I love about Amazon is, they dont charge tax in my state (LA). They AppleCare plan is $197 on Amazon.com. I would like to save money right now, but Im worried the AppleCare plan will go up in price. How long do you have to purchase it after the initial laptop purchase?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.