Intel GMA 950 Video Card Question

Reaction score
The Apple website says the Intel GMA 950 video card that their Macbook's use is 64MB. Im assuming all of this is shared because of intergrated video, but my question is, is this memory adjustable to 224MB?

The reason I ask this is the Intel website say the card is "Up to 224 MB maximum video memory".

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
You aren't the first to pose this question. :black:
To sum up things up, theoretically is is possible, but it has not yet been shown how to do so on a MacBook.
To my best recollection, nobody (at least on this forum) has been able to find any concrete, definite way to achieve this.

My suspicion would be that on a Windows-based machine it is rather easy, because of the ability to change settings in the BIOS.
Macs don't have a BIOS, and to my knowledge there isn't anywhere in the OS to make such a change or allocation for the VRAM.
Some have speculated that by adding more system RAM, it will do the allocating automatically when more VRAM is needed, but again there is no real proof of this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt
windows can/will use 224MB of it. ive seen it in action.

OSx will not use more than 64MB

OP
L
Reaction score
windows can/will use 224MB of it. ive seen it in action.

Perfect! If you don't mind answering. Through Windows how would the VRAM be adjusted?

See here is what I'm shooting towards. I plan to run AutoCAD on a Macbook, it requires 128MB of VRAM, now because the Intel GMA 950 is adjustable to 244MB that is more then sufficent.

So back to the question. I'll be using bootcamp to run Windows XP Home. How would the VRAM be adjusted?

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Perfect! If you don't mind answering. Through Windows how would the VRAM be adjusted?

See here is what I'm shooting towards. I plan to run AutoCAD on a Macbook, it requires 128MB of VRAM, now because the Intel GMA 950 is adjustable to 244MB that is more then sufficent.

So back to the question. I'll be using bootcamp to run Windows XP Home. How would the VRAM be adjusted?

Thanks.
It would have to be done in the BIOS, which unfortunately is not accessible on a Mac. If you need to run AutoCAD as often as you imply, then a MacBook (or any Mac, IMO) is not your best option.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt

Thanks.

it does it on a "as need basis" no user control.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 1.83 C2D, 1GB, 60GB, CD
Actually, I had this same video card on my old Toshiba laptop. You cannot adjust (at least on a windows machine) the VRAM. It automatically adjusts itself when needed.

For example:

First - assume VRAM is standard at 64 (which is much better than my old Toshiba - it was 8!)

Lets say you want to run a program that requires 128MB of VRAM. The video card will use the current 64MB plus the card will automatically allocate an additional 64MB from the memory to make up a 128MB VRAM.

I hope that makes sense. I spent hours upon hours trying to manually set the VRAM and was never able to set it.

I hope this helps.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.