Changing sound from stereo to mono

Reaction score
Hello all, I currently have a set of speakers, and the left one goes out periodicaly. I am looking for new speakers, but until then, I would like to make my music play mono instead of stereo, so that I do not lose half of the music. I want to keep my files in stereo for when I get my new speakers though. Does anyone know how to do this in iTunes?

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
use a 1/8" male stereo to female mono adapter.
might be 2 bucks at radio shack.

T

todd51

Not that I can tell, you'd probably be better off going the route of eric's methods.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
yeah, it's easy and cheap and you can always keep it and use it if you want to listen to headphones/earbuds with only one ear.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.5ghz Powerbook G4 17" 2gb RAM
yeah, it's easy and cheap and you can always keep it and use it if you want to listen to headphones/earbuds with only one ear.

uhh... why not just go into system prefs > sound > output > and slide the slider to which ever one doesnt go out? That wold work for a temporary solution.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
but then you lose a channel.

have you ever listened to something with severe separation like the beatles or queen with only one channel? painful.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.