• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Taking up to much space.

Reaction score
I am a coach, and trying to make a highlight video of all my teams footage throughout the season. the problem is they are all on DVD and there is about 15 of them I only have 20gb of space on my harddrve. I have ripped two dvds but kept only a total of 3min from both dvds the problem is that 3 min of clips have taken 18gb of space. I am quite confused and have never done this before can I have a hand please

Reaction score
3 minutes shouldnt be 17 gb, have you emptied the trash? also were you using full quality when ripping them or did you push the quality down

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Video takes up a large amount of disk space. You will most likely need large disk drive. There is a chart that you can find in most video editting books, that will tell you have much space a minute of video will take. I tried to do a quick search but, it came up with books to llok at. My books are in boxes in the garage, so I can not place my hand on it at the moment.

OP
M
Reaction score
Could it be that if i rip an entire dvd and only take parts of it while deleting the rest of the movie does the full file size stay on there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lime Green iMac G3 64mb ram, 20gb hdd, 400mhz G3 processor
I think that you ripped them at too large of a quailty. but you can always purchase an external HDD to save all your stuff do that its not in you computer.

OP
M
Reaction score
So if i only use part of a clip like a :30 second clip of a 1hr dvd it still going to be the same size of the orginal dvd. That doesn't make sense, wouldnt it be that :30 second worth of space.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.