Macjanitor

Reaction score
I've heard about macjanitor and was wondering what exactly it does. If you can tell me without using technical jargin that would be great because im new to mac!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
It does for your Mac what a janitor does for a building. It cleans it up and maintains it.

That was the nontechnical jargon part of it!

In just a little more detail, it cleans out caches, logs etc. This helps your Mac run more smoothly.

Frankly though, I would recommend OnyX (http://www.titanium.free.fr/pgs/english.html). It does the same thing, and a LOT more! It is also free.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I don't believe it cleans the caches, but only rolls the log files.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
Nope, caches aren't touched by any of the maintenance scripts.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I stand corrected! Thanks gents. This makes my recommendation of OnyX even stronger then gnrfsu.

Reaction score
thanks - appreciate the info. Does a Mac need this type of app, i.e., does an average system get that cluttered up? (By the way had trouble with the link - it had an extra ")" at the end.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Now and then it is worth doing. I do it about once a week just to be sure. I ran this Mac for about 6 months before doing it at all though. I noticed it seemed to be slowing down a bit so I tried this. It worked! Good as new again afterwards. So, I would recommend it.

Reaction score
OnyX rocks.

I had two people just this week tell me they were having problems with all sorts of weird things happening on their machines. I recommend OnyX and they both got it ran the scripts and all is well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MPB c2d 2.16ghz, 2gb RAM, 120gb Harddive
ok i got onyx but what do i run? i know its very powerful software and so should i just do automation and run the default scripts? i don't really know what to do..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
I normally just go into the Maintenance and Cleaning tabs, and click "Execute" on each section.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Pro 2017 3GHz 10-core 128GB RAM MacBook Pro 13-inch 2.3GHz i5 16GB RAM
MainMenu is also good for this since you can access it directly from the menu bar. Very neat!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.