Fan control?

Reaction score
Is there an application that allows you to control the fan speed on a G5 PPC Tower? I have had two hard drives die in the past three years due to overheating, so would like to crank up the fans to avoid losing a third. Any ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Welcome to Mac Forums DannyBoy!

Re your question, I asked this very question in the following thread:

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50968&highlight=fan+control

I did not receive any answers, suggesting there isn't one. I also Googled extensively on this to no good end. I'm afraid Mac OS X wishes to keep this one to itself!

If you should find otherwise, please post back - I for one would love to know!! :dive:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
I'm not sure of the layout of a G5 tower, having never owned one, but would it be possible to fit 3rd party hard drive cooling to your drives? It must be getting _very_ hot to be killing hard drives.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
DannyBoy, one other thing. cazabam has a good point. No well behaved G5 tower should be getting hot enough to kill hard drives. Please open your case and pull the fans out and examine them - they slide out very easily. Make sure they aren't gummed up with dust etc. Perhaps your existing cooling just isn't working the way it is intended. This may help.

Also, if you don't already have it, go out and get the iStat Pro widget (http://www.apple.com/downloads/dashboard/status/istatpro.html). This will monitor and display the temperature at various points inside your Mac. You could post back the results, and then others with your same model of G5 tower could compare values. If yours was notably hotter, you would know you have an issue.

BTW, what are the details of your G5? You don't say.

OP
DannyBoy
Reaction score
Thanks for advice. I'll try cleaning the fans tomorrow. I used Temperature Monitor which told me that my hard drive was 253ºC. (I realise that this must be an error! At least, I hope so...) I'll check the other temperatures tomorrow too and report back.

As for the details of my system... Erm... I think it has 2GHz dual processors with 1GB of RAM and 250GB hard drive.

Thanks for the replies, by the way. Hopefully I can get this problem sorted! :doctor:

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Dust could definitely be an issue if you have not cleaned the inside of your case in a while. Not familiar with your case either, but really two options, one would be a case fan in front of the drives pulling in cooler air over the drives if there is the space for it, and there are many hard drive coolers out there. Zalman makes a couple that are fanless if you're concerned about noise. Which ever option shouldn't run you more than $10-$25.
Here's a pretty cool option from Antec.

OP
DannyBoy
Reaction score
All looks good on the inside. Hardly any dust and all the fans are functioning fine. Here's my temperature data:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yep, other than that hard drive number, it all looks just fine.

...of course you did start this thread by saying that you had hard drives failing. The reading that is shown does seem out of whack, but there is a correlation between your reason for posting initially and the reading...

Love the avatar! Who is it?

OP
DannyBoy
Reaction score
Yep, other than that hard drive number, it all looks just fine.

...of course you did start this thread by saying that you had hard drives failing. The reading that is shown does seem out of whack, but there is a correlation between your reason for posting initially and the reading...
The hard drive reading never changes at all, while the others fluctuate a lot, plus it is the same at startup as when the computer has been on all day. I think it's erroneous, but still think there is a temprature problem. I've moved the drive to bay B to see if that helps, but think I'll have to invest in an additional fan. Can anyone recommend a fan for a G5 PPC from experience?

Love the avatar! Who is it?
I have no idea! I came across it and it made me chuckle, so I promptly nabbed it! ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.