Changing the "End" key

Reaction score
Thus far, after having my Mac since November, I've found myself using it primarily. However, since I've been trying out XCode to do an assignment in, one thing has begun to annoy me to no end.

The "End" key.

Is there any way of setting it so that it acts like Windows, Linux, and some programs for OS X, where hitting it brings the cursor to the end of the line?

it may seem like a trivial thing, and I know a lot of people never use it for anything, but it's become one of those things that I've grown to using to speed up my writing speeds.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
This is a difference between Mac and PC. On a Mac, the END key goes to the end of the document, not the end of the current line. Ditto for Home - it goes to top of the document not the start of the current line.

However, all is not lost. There are Mac equivalents for the PC sense of Home/End.

> To go to start of line: CMD+left_arrow
> To go to end of line: CMD+right_arrow

I am not aware of any way to remap the Home and End keys to behave in a Windows like way. Instead, the above Mac variants should be used.

Do note that some programs *do* use Home/End for their PC-like functions. For example, all the Microsoft Office programs do this. The excellent Smultron editor does this. This very web site does it inside these text entry boxes.

So, in general the keys behave by default in their Mac sense (Start/End of document) but in some specific applications, they are interpreted in their PC sense.

OP
S
Reaction score
That was (almost) exactly what I was after! Although, just FYI, I tried that method, but one of the comments lef me to DoubleCommand which let me do what I was after.

Thank you very much for leading me to the right path. Oh, and Mac57, while useful info, I had already known all of that, it's just annoying changing habits when switching computers.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.