Using a shared folder as a "Network"

Reaction score
I work in a small office environment. We have three employees (3 macs and 1 PC). We want a "Network". I say that in quotes because all we really want is a common place to dump shared files. A place we can all read and write the same files.

Here is what I have been doing in the past....
I set up a folder on my machine and shared it. I then went to the other employee's computers and go to Finder > Go > Network > Choose my computer > Mounted it > Navigated to the shared folder. This is too long of a process for a well working "network folder". So I created an alias to the shared folder and that worked. They could always just click on the alias and it would connect and allow them to read/write to that shared folder.

However, this only worked when I used to have a static IP for my computer but I have a new router that won't allow me a static IP and the alias no longer works. When you click on it, you get a pinwheel for a while and it never connects. We are back to every time we want to put a file in this common folder we have to do the Go > Network > Choose Computer > Shared Folder etc. which is not convenient.

Is there a better way to do what I am trying to do?

I would like this system to work for the 3 macs and the PC but working for the 3 macs is most important.

Thank you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
I find it hard to believe that the router will not allow you to have a static IP. The router could care less. Just be sure the IP is out of the router's DHCP scope.

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks, You are correct. My old router's GUI had a place for me to specify my IP according to its MAC address. This one did not and when I just tried to set it static it didn't work but I was doing that within the DHCP range. I took your suggestion and it worked!

Thank you, I will go back to my old system. Unless of course for some reason there is a better one?

Thanks again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
Unfortunately the "Network" abilities Apple has simplified for us dolts is not as usable as most of us would like.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.