Switching Soon - Software (Photoshop) Question

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not yet! Still too poor!
I'm going to buy on/after the 15th when I get paid again. I've never used a mac before, or even seen one in person (smallll town), so bear with me.

Right now, I have a practically brand-new copy of Photoshop CS2 (Had it for a while, but just recently opened/installed). On the box, it says "built for windows XP" so I'm taking it that it won't be installable on my Macbook. Is there anywhere I can send it back and get the mac version, trade it somewhere, or else just download via Bittorrent or Adobe.com and use my serial number?

I have the same problem with office. I have office 2003, still with the box and all the papers, just installed last week on my PC. erk. My dad got them for me with an education discount from the college he works at, and even though I didn't pay for them (he did), I really don't want to buy new ones.

Any help would be appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
No... The Windows versions of the software will not load on Mac OS X... BUT, you could load them through Parallels or bootcamp (running XP) if you really need them.

Your CS2 serial will only work on your Windows version... CALL Adobe, and see if they will swap it out for the Mac version for you... I have heard of companies doing this before. IF the CS2 is unopened (sealed) take it back.

Your Dad's college may have a discount on MS Office for Mac... I have seen College Bookstore prices on this as low as $5... so have him check.

WELCOME to Mac-Forums!!!

OP
Sondratheloser
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not yet! Still too poor!
Thanks for your help -- I figure I can easily live without Office, using webapps or some open source something or other, but for Photoshop, I guess calling Adobe is going to be my best bet, unless my dad can trade it at the bookstore or something.

My school bookstore doesn't have software of any kind, or I would try that.

If I use something like Wine or Crossover Office, am I going to see a big drop in performance? I'm planning on getting the 2 GHz intel core 2 duo with 1gb memory, and 80gb hard drive.

I would use bootcamp, except for having to buy windows, since it just came installed on my crappy dell.

I'm probably going to wait it out even a bit longer, and shell out extra for the 120gb hard drive instead of the 80...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Don't bother with CS2 - it's not a Universal application and doesn't run very well on Intel Macs.

CS3 comes out in a couple of months though.

Talk to Adobe and see if you can upgrade CS2 to CS3 Mac in a few months.

Otherwise, I'd put CS2 on ebay and use the money towards buying CS3.

M

MacHeadCase

I read somewhere in Mac-Forums that Adobe has a program for cross-platform upgrading. Search the forums here, I'm sure you'll find it. Adobe just doesn't advertise it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Sondratheloser, WELCOME to Mac Forums!!

Adobe does have a trade over program for Windows to Mac. I used it myself when I switched about 10 months ago.

In summary, you call Adobe's 1-800 customer service number, get a customer service agent, and explain that you want to transfer your existing CS2 license from Windows to Mac. They email/fax you a form, which you fill out and sign and send back to them. This form certifies that you have uninstalled your Windows version AND destroyed the media. When they receive the form, they ship you out a fresh copy of CS2 for the Mac.

The whole process took me about two weeks, most of that shipping delay. Adobe was VERY helpful and very supportive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Adobe Customer Service: 800-833-6687

OP
Sondratheloser
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not yet! Still too poor!
Thanks for the help and welcomes everyone :)

I will definitely call them tomorrow and hopefully get things sorted out!

For office, I figure I'll probably sell my copy on ebay, and just use OpenOffice/NeoOffice. Anyone had any experiences with those programs?

Thanks again!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Which Office apps do you need? NeoOffice is a good suite, and reasonably compatible with MS-Office, but like MS-Office, it is big and slow.

You may wish to consider Abiword for an MS-Word replacement. See www.abisource.com. Abiword is small, fast and can read/write .doc files.

You may also wish to consider a web based approach to Office suites. Two notables:
1/ The new Google Apps package for doc/spreadsheet

2/ Thinkfree Office (www.thinkfree.com) which is a free web based suite.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.