MBP, MB, or Dos laptop?

BoA

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5, 17", 160 GB, 512RAM/ iPod 1gen, 15G/iPod video black
Okay, I still have my iMac G5 (Which is having all kinds of weird issues, it restarts randomly and I had to re-install the OS a few weeks ago because the thing went crazy and wouldn't do anything for days but...) but for University I need to buy a laptop.

I'm trying to decide if I should get a Mac Book Pro, Mac Book (Black), or a Vista Laptop. I plan on taking some software engineering classes but my major is International Business and East Asian languages (Side note: Can anyone tell me how to get Japanese and Simpl. Chinese input on the iMac running 10.4.8?) and my electives are Spanish (I'm already fluent) and some other things. I need to be able to run windows for VB, ASP, etc. but can I use them on Boot Camp or Parallels (I've never used an intel mac before, I even hated them at first lol)?

That's one of the major things in my decision. Another is battery life, how long do the MBP / MB batteries last? I'd like to be able to get through my classes; I graduated 2 years early so I am only taking 12 and less hours so I need the battery to last about 3 hours almost straight a day or close to that.

Another thing is price, I have a few thousand saved for the computer but I don't want to break the bank (1500 even makes me cringe)... so places that offer rebates could be good (Amazon, instead of buying from the apple store) Also, I have to add in the extended warranty too. Anyone have good ideas on stores to go look in; CompUSA section lacks and my local Mac store I only visit when I have to as the freeway here is crazy).

Durability is a factor as I want to use it until I get my BA hopefully.

Any help ya'll? I start school full time in Aug but I am taking Summer classes in May...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air | iPad | iPhone | iPod Classic | iPod Shuffle | no more money
IF you run Windows in Boot Camp or Parallels then you'll have access to VB, ASP etc.

Battery on the MacBook is 3 hours pretty comfortably - I played Champ Manager on it the other day for about 3 hours and thats a CPU intensive game (I think) the MacBook was getting hot so needed the fans on and like I say - 3 hours out of it - in fact I gave up before the MacBook did.

Just browsing the web - I get maybe 3.5 hours before battery icon goes red - but if you were in class or lecture and using it for notes - turning on maximum battery - turn off wireless (if you don't need it) turn off bluetooth - 3.5 - maybe 4 hours usage, maybe a bit more.

Apple's official estimate of the battery life of all "non-Pro" MacBook models, using a 55-watt hour battery is an impressive six hours. However, the company estimates 3.5 hours while using wi-fi and 2.5 hours of DVD playback.
EveryMac

I think the MacBook Pros are more durable than the MacBook (MBP takes a bullet).

Best place to look when saving some cash - The Apple Refurb store - I got my macbook from the refurb store - saved a bit of cash and I'm really happy with it. (You can still buy AppleCare for 3 years warranty if you want)

Also if you're a student - or can get the college to sign off on you being a student very soon then Apple do some good discounts for students and teachers as well.

OP
BoA

BoA

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IF you run Windows in Boot Camp or Parallels then you'll have access to VB, ASP etc.

Battery on the MacBook is 3 hours pretty comfortably - I played Champ Manager on it the other day for about 3 hours and thats a CPU intensive game (I think) the MacBook was getting hot so needed the fans on and like I say - 3 hours out of it - in fact I gave up before the MacBook did.

Just browsing the web - I get maybe 3.5 hours before battery icon goes red - but if you were in class or lecture and using it for notes - turning on maximum battery - turn off wireless (if you don't need it) turn off bluetooth - 3.5 - maybe 4 hours usage, maybe a bit more.

EveryMac

I think the MacBook Pros are more durable than the MacBook (MBP takes a bullet).

Best place to look when saving some cash - The Apple Refurb store - I got my macbook from the refurb store - saved a bit of cash and I'm really happy with it. (You can still buy AppleCare for 3 years warranty if you want)

Also if you're a student - or can get the college to sign off on you being a student very soon then Apple do some good discounts for students and teachers as well.
Thanks!

Do you know if the refurbs are good? I mean, I like the benefit of it being cheaper but having something refurbished kind of makes me nervous in the back of the throat. I've boughten an iBook from someone but I expect that to be used in lol. What condition did the refurbished MB come in?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mine came in VERY good condition. There are a few light scratches to the top that can be seen if you look at the laptop in a certain light at a certain angle - i.e. you don't see them unless you are really looking for them.

The keyboard etc was perfect.

I had a gripe in that it came with a user account already on it rather than a fresh setup asking for my username - this was easily solved and from what I've heard from others - it's VERY rare.

Refurbs are an absolute bargain.

OP
BoA

BoA

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Cool, cool. What do you use your MB for? For school would you say it is better than a MBP? I want to install Boot Camp and set up either Vista or XP sp2 so which would be better for that?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well I use my MacBook for personal free-time stuff - like web surfing, Job hunting, forum loitering, the odd game, general fun with iLife apps & MSN (Adium).

I'm an IT contractor (currently although as previously stated - looking for something more permanent) and I've used the MacBook a couple of times when out and about - although I don't really like taking it to most places I go as I think something bad will happen (like it'll get pinched). I can use it to remotely access Windows machines if needed so I can still offer remote support - but if I stick at this current line of work then I think I'd like some cash to get a cheap IBM Thinkpad (used) so that I wont be so bothered if it has to stay in a build room unsupervised for a couple of hours ;)

Personally I love the MacBook - the MBP never really appealed to me as I want ultra-portability from a laptop and the MacBooks light weight appealed to me more so than the weight of the slightly heavier MBP - also the footprint is smaller than an MBP.

With regards to weight - if you've got to lug a few things round with you (in your case - maybe a few text books, a note pad, etc) then a few extra ounces here and there add up to a heavy bag - I remember this from my uni days. However if you think it might come in for a rough time - maybe you throw your bag in the back of a car or something - maybe the durability of the MBPs will be more suited to you.

Ultimately the choice will be yours - some people love the MBPs and some don't - I suggest you try to get to a store selling Apple portables and have a play with the models you think you are most likely to buy.

Regarding XP & Vista - I'm not sure what the state of things is with regards to Vista support through Boot Camp - so it may be a non-starter although I really don't know for sure. I'd go for XP - it's pretty much proven now - and there are a load of people already running XP on their intel Macs so getting some help here and there will not be a problem.

OP
BoA

BoA

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hehe, for a second there I thought you wrote: "the odd funeral" lol :D.

Have you used your MB for hard core programming?

I think the MB will be better in terms of weight but I haven't played with either yet. I have a car so the only self-transport will be around campus everyday.

I'm trying to go visit a store soon, maybe if I can make it out to the Apple Store if not CompUSA.

I've seen reports of both; people saying XP works better in BC and those who say Vista does.

Still there is a dos laptop too ;). I like the cheapness of the (Some)IBMs and Dells but then you get what you pay for...

Reaction score
If you wanna go for the higher end macbook, DON'T get the black one. You can upgrade the middle-level macbook so it has the same extra stuff as the blackbook, but you'll be paying a lot less.

OP
BoA

BoA

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, I saw that, what a rip off! X_X

Of course black is the common notebook color, and white stands out. Do you think having a white MB would be a bigger risk in stealing wise?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.