Dynamic Non-destructive expansion of a hard drive via JBOD

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac G5, 17" iMac Intel CoreDuo
First let me describe my network:

1 iMac G5, 1 iMac Intel CoreDuo, 1 HP PC (vintage early 2004). Ive got cable internet connected to a Netgear 634WGTU which connects to the PC and the G5 in the office. The Intel Mac is connected via wireless and is in the kitchen. In my living room I've got an airport extreme connected to my surround sound system. I've got 4 NewerTech Ministack V2 500 GB external hard drives, a 400 GB LaCie Big Drive (about 3 years old now) and a 200 GB Crossfire.

What I want to do is keep my music/media on my Ministacks and use 2 (1TB) for storage and 2 (1TB) for backup. I'd like to set both the storage and backup drives up as 2 separate JBOD (4 drives into 2 JBODs). Also, as the need arises I'd just like to add another ministack and add that to the JBOD WITHOUT erasing the data already there. I know I can use DiskUtility to set up a JBOD but that is destructive (i.e. erases my data). I've heard I can use command line to non-destructively add another drive but I can't find a decent explanation of how to do that. Does anybody know? Has anybody done this? Is there 3rd party software available that will do this?

Please help. Ripping my CD collection has come to a dead halt until I can solve this problem.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.