Just bought iBook package

I

iStair

I just bought an iBook 12' G4 package
Came with an iBook 12' G4 (of course)
128meg extra ram
Airport Extreme Card
20gig iPod all for $2,200AUS

cant wait it will be here in ten days.. but i can still choose not to buy it.. so do u reckon it will be good for me, im currently a student in yr11 and i want a small portable laptop to take to all my classes. all i really want it to do is b able to use office, connect to the skool and home network, be able to do basic Photoshop and Illustrator work, maybe sum video editing, and maybe play a few games here and there, do u think it is a good choice.. and also i wouldnt mind if it lasted me through uni..
ne1 with a 12' g4 ibook, could u tell me sum good games that would run decently on the laptop aswell if u could, thanks

and btw i love these forums, got so much insight into most of my queries..

edit: i just read the iBook 12' has a smaller keyboard, il b doing alot of typing so will it be annoyingly or painfully small, or is it just comfortably small, could sum1 plz take a foto with a hand placed on the 12' iBook keyboard so i get an idea, if u could that would b great!

OP
T

TylerMoney

I'm using the 12" powerbook...my hands fly on the keyboard..I love it...it's size doesn't bother me at all. You shouldn't have any problems with an ibook g4 as long as you load it full of memmory...games may get tricky...you shoudln't really have any real problems though

I haven't played many games since I've started college....so....I don't know what you're wanting to play....but there pretty much any newer...and maybe older...blizard games (wcraft III)....Halo, URT2004, Neverwinter nights.....

I think you can get away with an iBook....

OP
T

trenollet

Actually, I believe the 12" and 14" iBook use the same size keyboard. At least my older 12" G3 has the same keyboard as my new 14" G4. Also when I was shopping for my 14", I compared the 12" power book with this one and they seemed to be the same size also.

Eitherway, I think it will be just fine for typing, I know I haven't had any problems.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0ghz 15" Core Duo MBP
Jealous

trenollet said:
Actually, I believe the 12" and 14" iBook use the same size keyboard. At least my older 12" G3 has the same keyboard as my new 14" G4. Also when I was shopping for my 14", I compared the 12" power book with this one and they seemed to be the same size also.

Eitherway, I think it will be just fine for typing, I know I haven't had any problems.

I wish I had the g4 instead of the g3. The g3 ibook I purchased last month has given me such a headache, I think I might even switch back to Windows. I just find it frustrating that with all of the benchmark BS that I still can't get much done. I mean a 900mhz windows machine can still play mini games... Why can't this one? I can't even play KNO. I mean hello? Those are 16-bit graphics...

Maybe it's me. Maybe I'm doing something wrong. Anybody know of any processor tweaks for the g3..? I mean I wish Apple hadn't dropped support for os 9. Should these iBook g3's even be shipping with os x? I mean a rock solid os is no good if your crappy processor is maxed out in processing the most miniscule tasks.

Typical Day:
"Oh snap! Did you say iTunes, Safari, AND TextEdit!?? Uh-un honey, you must be trippin'! I'll show you! BAM >>>'this' application has unexpectedly quit....bleh'... <<< That' Right BEEACH! Multitask mah arse!!!"

"Oh hoho... ha! He's trying to write some Java... This is fine... what's this... Someone needs to check their email... GASP!! USER SWITCHING!! NO YOU DIDN'!!!.... ...<freezes while switching>..."

<Throws iBook out the window>

Guess I'll just stick to Name the Song...

Bleh.. I'm done whining....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
mpeters13 said:
I wish I had the g4 instead of the g3. The g3 ibook I purchased last month has given me such a headache, I think I might even switch back to Windows. I just find it frustrating that with all of the benchmark BS that I still can't get much done. I mean a 900mhz windows machine can still play mini games... Why can't this one? I can't even play KNO. I mean hello? Those are 16-bit graphics...

Maybe it's me. Maybe I'm doing something wrong. Anybody know of any processor tweaks for the g3..? I mean I wish Apple hadn't dropped support for os 9. Should these iBook g3's even be shipping with os x? I mean a rock solid os is no good if your crappy processor is maxed out in processing the most miniscule tasks.

Typical Day:
"Oh snap! Did you say iTunes, Safari, AND TextEdit!?? Uh-un honey, you must be trippin'! I'll show you! BAM >>>'this' application has unexpectedly quit....bleh'... <<< That' Right BEEACH! Multitask mah arse!!!"

"Oh hoho... ha! He's trying to write some Java... This is fine... what's this... Someone needs to check their email... GASP!! USER SWITCHING!! NO YOU DIDN'!!!.... ...<freezes while switching>..."

<Throws iBook out the window>

Guess I'll just stick to Name the Song...

Bleh.. I'm done whining....

How much RAM is your machine running? The G3 is by no means a "crappy processor" (G3 machines have actually outperformed comparable G4s in certain situations). My G3 900 with 640 MB doesn't have any problem running multiple applications (often more than the 3 you mentioned). If you haven't already, you might want to try a clean install of the OS or perform some maintenance functions. As for games, I'm not much of a gamer, but again, my G3 ran the Castle Wolfenstein demo I downloaded very smoothly, even with the highest graphics settings. Also, I'm not sure if you use Energy Saver, but make sure that the Processor Speed option isn't set to "Reduced".

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0ghz 15" Core Duo MBP
Padawan said:
How much RAM is your machine running? The G3 is by no means a "crappy processor" (G3 machines have actually outperformed comparable G4s in certain situations). My G3 900 with 640 MB doesn't have any problem running multiple applications (often more than the 3 you mentioned). If you haven't already, you might want to try a clean install of the OS or perform some maintenance functions. As for games, I'm not much of a gamer, but again, my G3 ran the Castle Wolfenstein demo I downloaded very smoothly, even with the highest graphics settings. Also, I'm not sure if you use Energy Saver, but make sure that the Processor Speed option isn't set to "Reduced".

Yeah... that post was pretty immature of me, but I'm just so frustrated. This would make the second format. I suppose it did help the first time and would assume it would help the second time. I really don't know... I mean I know that these aren't supposed to be the best apples in the world, but I would expect a little more performance than I've experienced.

It actually sounds like we are running the same setup. I have then 900 w/ 640mb of ram and the 40gb harddrive. I'm running dual boot w/ OS X and OS 9.2.2. This ibook has an airport wireless card inside as well.

By nature I'm a whiner anyway... I'm sure it's me and not the laptop. Thanks for your input though. I appreciate it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
Did you purchase the additional RAM through Apple, or from another vendor? Perhaps the RAM that you have is contributing to your problems? I don't blame you for wanting a nicely performing machine. It just seems like there is more going on with your system than a lack of processing power, since the problems you're describing shouldn't be typical of your model. I very rarely have an application unexpectedly quit, and when functioning properly, the G3 900 should perform quite well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Yeah the Macs need quality RAM. When performance problems happen like that it's very likely a RAM issue. About the keyboads (the first posts) I plan on getting a powerbook when I need to be more mobile. I have made a point of typing on the 12's in the Apple store (many of my posts here included) just to make sure I will like it. The result is I love it! It's not a big keyboard but it's completely type worthy! --The bigger books seem to use the same, the added size contributing to screen size and side speakers. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.