Routers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini 2.6GHz i5 8GB RAM 1TB HDD OSX Yosemite
Does one router work better with mac than the other? My current links router just gave up the ghost and before buying another I was wondering if one works better with mac that the other. I will be using it with both PC and Mac. The PC will be hardwire while my macbook will be wireless.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
I don't know of any routers that are OS specific. Just stick with the big brands.. Netgear (what I use), Linksys, dLink, Apple, etc.... you'll be fine.

Links to Router reviews.... LINK1 . . . LINK2

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I've hooked up my Mac to all sorts of routers and none of them have given me any trouble.

Just pick one that offers the features you need for the price you're willing to pay. Some good brands are Linksys, Dlink, and Apple's Airport.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 GHz Intel Imac Core 2 Duo//MacBook 1.83 Core 2 Duo//G5 Power Mac
As the others have mentioned most brands will work. I am using a Dlink wired, and a Linksys wireless both work great.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Like was said any router will work as OSX uses the same standards for networking as the rest of the world. Some routers are better than others. If you have $$$ to burn, the Airport Extreme is very nice. I use all Linksys here and have had zero issues with them. I have also used DLink and Netgear on the Macs as well as Belkin. All worked great but I am more partial to Linksys for lower price and the Apple for cost is no object plus it matches the Mac in looks also.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1 GB RAM, 80GB Hard Drive, 80GB Video iPod (Black)
I use Linksys at home and that works great. It also connects to other wireless networks I have tried as well, I read somewhere that the MacBook supports pretty much all networking standards, so you should have no problems.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro C2D 2.16
I use Netgear wireless and it has been having serious problems over the last 2 months or so. I get like 10 min of great connectivity but then it all stops. While my MBP senses full signal, I have no access to the internet. I have to reset it for things to work. When its not working, I get on one of my neighbors networks and my laptop works fine. We all have the same provider, so im pretty sure its the NetGear router (its the one with like 7 antennae with pretty blue lights on top...looks like a spaceship). BTW: my gf's MBP has the same issue as mine...I really think its the router....Hmmmmm, now that I think of it im gonna buy a different one today.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I use Netgear wireless and it has been having serious problems over the last 2 months or so. I get like 10 min of great connectivity but then it all stops. While my MBP senses full signal, I have no access to the internet. I have to reset it for things to work. When its not working, I get on one of my neighbors networks and my laptop works fine. We all have the same provider, so im pretty sure its the NetGear router (its the one with like 7 antennae with pretty blue lights on top...looks like a spaceship). BTW: my gf's MBP has the same issue as mine...I really think its the router....Hmmmmm, now that I think of it im gonna buy a different one today.

Try switching over to WPA2 instead of WPA. There's a known bug in the most recent software update for the AirPort card in your MBP. Also, if the problems persist, enable SSID broadcast if it's currently disabled.

ALL routers will have this problem, because it's related to the way your AirPort card handles WPA.

Reaction score

I got the same netgear router as you too and having problems. A mate might be buying it off me for his PC network. I am trying a Airport Extreme at the moment of a friend and man it FAB really is. But if I went to buy one i will also have to buy a DSL Modem too :(

OP
zyepod
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for all the replies... I've bought a Netgear Super "G". I've used Links, and D-Link systems so I figured what the heck. I haven't opened the box so if anyone knows this to be a bad router... I'll probably install it tomorrow unless I get some negative responces.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
So far, my Macbook works with every router I've encountered that doesn't have a WEP password. Most of the time I don't even know what brand it is, but the one I'm currently using appears to be a NETGEAR. :ninja:

At work they use Cisco WAPs and probably Cisco routers, but my Linksys at home works fine with it. Even with a WEP password (which I do know.)

I'd say that my Mac hasn't met a router that it didn't like.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Thanks for all the replies... I've bought a Netgear Super "G". I've used Links, and D-Link systems so I figured what the heck. I haven't opened the box so if anyone knows this to be a bad router... I'll probably install it tomorrow unless I get some negative responces.

I have the EXACT same router... It's perfect. Great range (connects my iMac, a Windows Machine, and 2 Airport Express units). It looks great too.

Great choice!

Reaction score
I have a linksys WRT54G V1 (old I know) and it works fine, but after flashing the firmware with dd-wrt it works even better and has a lot more options to go with it.

check it out at www.dd-wrt.com

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 15 inch 1.5 GHz, iMac
i like my Airport express.

OP
zyepod
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well I have my Netgear Router up and running and all is well. It was very easy to set up. I have it set to only except mac addresses I input. Now I need to see if I can log-on with using someone elses laptop... I mean mac...

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Well I have my Netgear Router up and running and all is well. It was very easy to set up. I have it set to only except mac addresses I input. Now I need to see if I can log-on with using someone elses laptop... I mean mac...

Just remember that if the only security you use is MAC filtering, the traffic you send over the airwaves is NOT encrypted. This means that any sensitive traffic you send (passwords, banking information, etc) is also not encrypted and can be easily intercepted by anyone with even a modicum of network savvy. Not only that, but as soon as you shut down one of those machines, anyone who has been monitoring your traffic can easily spoof their own MAC address and hop on your network in place of the machine that was turned off.

I highly recommend that you enable some sort of encryption, WPA2 would be preferred if it is available.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.33G DUO CORE 17"
Does one router work better with mac than the other? My current links router just gave up the ghost and before buying another I was wondering if one works better with mac that the other. I will be using it with both PC and Mac. The PC will be hardwire while my macbook will be wireless.

You may wanna try to get a warranty claim on your Linksys, even though it may be out of warranty, they do replace them if it's a real defect, etc..

Just an idea....

The good thing about the Apple router, is that you can send music over a TV or PA if it's in the same location, only advantage of those guys so far...

Linksys is hands down my favorite brand....

OP
zyepod
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I didn't know this... I'll look into the WPA2... Thanks...

OP
zyepod
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Actually my router and my modem got hit in a power surge I think... Alltel replaced my router for free and well you know the rest of the story. I had no problems with my Links other than a reboot or two a week and I believe I could have took care of that with a firmware update...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro C2D 2.16
Try switching over to WPA2 instead of WPA. There's a known bug in the most recent software update for the AirPort card in your MBP. Also, if the problems persist, enable SSID broadcast if it's currently disabled.

ALL routers will have this problem, because it's related to the way your AirPort card handles WPA.

Thanks for the suggestions...none of them fixed the issue...Rep added though. thanks for trying.
-d

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.