Anti-Virus Software

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
You are probably much more safer working on OS X than Windows XP/Vista but there is no system on earth 100% free of virus threats. I have listed some of the most popular AV software for your reference. ;)

ClamXav (Universal Binary)
Clam AntiVirus (ClamAV), is a widely used free antivirus software toolkit for Unix-like operating systems. It is mainly used with a mail exchange server as a server-side email virus scanner. ClamAV is open source software distributed under the terms of the GNU General Public License (GPL). Both ClamAV and its updates are made available free of charge.

There are two versions of ClamXav available, one for OS X 10.3 & 10.4 and a separate one for for OS X 10.2. Please be sure to download the correct version.

Intego VirusBarrier (Universal Binary)
Intego VirusBarrier X4 is the simple, fast and non-intrusive antivirus security solution for Macintosh computers, by Intego, the leading publisher of personal security software for Macintosh. It offers thorough protection against viruses of all types, coming from infected files or applications, whether on CD-ROMs, DVDs or other removable media, or on files downloaded over the Internet or other types of networks.

Intego VirusBarrier X4 protects your computer from viruses by constantly examining all the files that your computer opens and writes, as well as watching for suspicious activity that may be the sign of viruses acting on applications or other files. With Intego VirusBarrier X4 on your computer, you can rest assured that your Macintosh has the best protection available against viruses of all kinds.

Intego VirusBarrier X4 is an application that works in the background and checks everything that your computer does, looking for viruses. It detects and eradicates all known viruses, including Word and Excel macro viruses, and even viruses targeting the Windows operating system. It knows the unique signatures of all known Macintosh viruses, and whenever a new virus is discovered, Intego's Virus Monitoring Center goes into action to provide updated virus definitions, which you can download using Intego VirusBarrier X4's automatic NetUpdate function.

Norton Antivirus
Norton Antivirus provides essential protection from viruses, hackers, and privacy threats.

The QuickMenu gives you instant access to frequently used features and automatically removes viruses (including macro viruses), worms, and Trojan horses. It also scans email attachments, instant message attachments, Internet downloads, and other incoming files for viruses. The LiveUpdate can automatically download and install new virus definitions and the Norton Scheduler lets you schedule regular virus scans and LiveUpdate checks

Some of the new features
* Compatible with Mac OS® X v10.4 Tiger™
* Includes a Global Threat Assessment Dashboard widget
* Puts scan controls in Mac OS X contextual menus
* Smart Volume Scanning eliminates redundant scanning of media you know are virus free
* Custom SafeZones save time and system resources by scanning only specified drives or directories

Note: This has not been rated high in many popular software download sites. Therefore keep in mind the name alone does not make it good.

McAfee Virex (Universal Binary)
McAfee VirusScan for Mac guards against all types of viruses and malicious code, including new and unknown threats, that target OS X. VirusScan for Mac offers unintrusive, effective protection that hunts down and kills viruses, worms, Trojans, and other malicious code as they attempt to infect systems, allowing users to continue to work uninterrupted. Easy to use and always on guard, VirusScan for Mac automatically checks for the latest virus updates, so your protection is always up to date. It is supported by McAfee Avert Labs, among the world's top threat research centers.

Sophos Anti-Virus (Universal Binary)
Sophos Anti-Virus for Mac OS X provides integrated cross-platform virus detection on Macintosh servers, desktops and laptops. Sophos virus detection engine scans all entry points, and also detects non-Mac viruses that could be harbored on Mac computers.

The latest software and virus detection updates are automatically downloaded from Sophos through our updating application, EM Library, ensuring that all computers across the network, including remote laptops, are fully protected.
Pure Mac environments

Designed for all-Mac networks, Sophos Update Manager allows updating and configuration from a single Mac computer. It enables you to set scheduled updating, and to determine how scanning will be implemented on desktops and laptops.

The software is a single install for both Intel-based and PowerPC-based computers. Every virus incident is automatically reported to the administrator, making day-to-day management even easier.

There are couple of other tools worth a mention though they don't fit in here.

Little Nitch (Universal Binary)
Little Snitch tells you when a program tries to send info to the internet so you can see what's going on in the background!

Features
* Prevents applications from "phoning home".
* Protects you from trojans, worms, and other network parasites.
* Shows which applications send information over the internet.
* Provides a higher level of security for the paranoid.

ChkRootKit_MacOSX (Universal Binary)
ChkRootKit_MacOSX is a freeware utility to detect WORMS, LKM TROJANS and other small dirty animals which could invade your computer. However this could be vulnerable for a sophisticated attack.

I would like to hear your feedback on above topic ( ie. suggestions, experience with these and other AV software, etc,). Don't forget to take part in the little Poll. :)

Documentation on OS X security
Vulnerability reports(securemac.com)
Introduction to Security (Uni. Utah)
Basic Mac Security (Mac Geekery)
Ultimate Guide (Lots of Links)
For New Users (Macworld.com)

Sources: Respective Developer Sites

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Another GREAT JOB NoviceW... +REP coming your way as soon as I "Spread it Around" a bit more. :D

I voted... NO AV for me... Such is life on the Wild (Read: Mac) Side.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Nice review. I voted none. I had norton on my iBook. Big mistake, and I havent had any AV since.

M

MacHeadCase

Great post novice!
icon14.gif

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
+rep!

nice!

OP
novicew
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
Thanks for all the responses. Well, it is surprising to see many of you don't have any virus protection. Don't you feel the pain of fellow Windows users? (You can be a virus carrier) :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Not really. If you are using a Windows machine and you don't have antivirus software, then it makes no difference whether the virus comes from me or the internet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
there is no system on earth 100% free of virus threats.

No, but 99.9% free is good enough for me not to use any anti-virus software.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.