RAM pairs?

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Have had my MacBook for a few months now, and aside from the dreaded screen-flicker problem (which Apple sorted out very efficiently, it must be said), I'm very happy with it. However, it still has the base 512mb of RAM in it, and as I have a bit of spare cash at the moment I think it's time for an upgrade.

Now, I know it's recommended that the RAM modules are paired, but I've noticed a fair few people don't seem to bother...? I'm pretty sure I only need 1gb for what I do (I've got by fine with 512 for months, after all), but if I buy a single 1gb stick rather than two 512s it will allow me to upgrade again if necessary.

So, 1gb paired or 1.25gb with a mis-match, bearing in mind that I'll almost certainly not be upgrading again (at least for the foreseeable future)? What are the real benefits of pairing - performance, battery life...?

Thanks,
Jonathan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
I believe it will be noticably faster in pairs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone X, Watch 3, '18 MBP w/touchbar, '17 iPad Pro 10.5
I have a 1gb and the stock 256 in my macbook. It is noticeably faster than it was as shipped before I upgraded. I have no plans as of yet to purchase another gb. It is recommeneds to upgrade in pairs, but if you don't really need the second gb stick of ram, then i see no need to do so. Like I said I only upgraded the one stick and am perfectly happy. P.S. If you do decide to purchase memory, I would stay away from 18004memory.com The have the slowest shipping I have EVER encountered in any purchase i have ever made online.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.