• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Blu Ray disk in a Mac - When?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMacG4 1ghz. 17 inch.
When do you think we will see Blu Ray disk in a Mac?
Considering the drives cost around 700 to 1000, would this make a new MacBook Pro with Blu Ray cost around 3,500?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0ghz coeduo 1GB RAM 80 GB HD SuperDrive
I heard that some companies are already making hybrid drives, so its possible that HDDVD and Blu-Ray will both be around. But then again this was some random guy at Game Crazy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Someone put a blue-ray drive in a Mac Pro and it worked fine with normal dvds and cds, but since there isn't a blueray driver, nothing on the mac can read them yet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
But there still isn't software to watch blue-ray movies. The only thing Mac's can do with blue-ray now, is with Toast 8, which came out after that guy stuck a PC blue-ray drive in his Mac.

Same with HD-DVD. Macs recognized the xBox 360 HD-DVD drive right out of the box, but there isn't software to completely use them yet.

Reaction score
concidering its a format war right now, basicly sony is blue-ray and everyone else is hddvd there isnt going to be a drive with both, i think hd will come before blueray in macs

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There already are a few hybrid players that are coming to the market soon, so computer drives will follow soon afterward.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15 inch 1.83. iBook G4.
concidering its a format war right now, basicly sony is blue-ray and everyone else is hddvd there isnt going to be a drive with both, i think hd will come before blueray in macs

I dont think that is really the case, there are a number of people supporting either blu-ray or HDDVD and there are some supporting both.

Apple are firmly behind Blu-ray as I understand, hence they will be more likely to support this over the HDDVD.

http://www.engadget.com/2005/09/19/blu-ray-vs-hd-dvd-state-of-the-s-union-s-division/

Anyway, im no expert but I do expect to see blu-ray in macs before HDDVD.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple Black MacBook 2 GB RAM, 2.0 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo Proecessor, 120 GB HD. 30 GB Black iPod Video
Who knows anymore. First I hear Apple is on the Blu-Ray side then I find out they supported the people who now support HDDVD before they ever supported Blu-Ray, and now I hear they've gone format neutral. It is way too confusing and I don't think standard DVDs are ready to die out just yet. But I do hope HDDVD wins because I own a Toshiba HD-A1 and I cannot stand Sony. The spyware they put in a CD that I tried to rip onto my Dell destroyed the burner to the point that I can only burn discs on my PC using iTunes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently shopping for my first Mac.
Maybe it's just me, but I don't see the point of having an HDDVD or blu-ray player in any computer.

I personally don't own one yet, but if I did I would want to view the high definition quality on as big of a screen as I could. Why not just buy the video game console and you get a lot more for your money?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Its not just about movies. Blu-ray and HD-DVD can also be used as back-up media.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, let's be generous and say you can buy a blu-ray burner for $600. Then we have to buy the media, so each 50GB disc costs maybe $5. That's 50GB of back-up storage for $605. Granted it might be worth it in the long run, but that's still a lot of money and you'd have to be downloading a **** of a lot of stuff to take full advantage of it.

Compare that to 400GB of storage for $107 (reference newegg item #N82E16822145133).

I'm not sure what the future holds for the IT industry, and no one can deny that it is constantly changing, but unless blu-ray and HD-DVD burners are incredibly cheap, I don't think they're worth the cost for a pc add-on.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You have to remember that Blu-Ray and HD-DVD technology is new. All new technology is expensive. When CDs first came out, Sony's CD player was around $1400. Compared to the Blu-Ray and HD-DVD, CD players were about the same price. So saying that its not worth it, your right, right now. Give it a few years, and it will be more consumer friendly, and hopefully one will be adopted over the other.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I knew I was forgetting something.

A $200 HD-DVD burner? I could do that.

Only time will tell...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook 1GB 120GB HD...soon to upgrade to 2GB of Ram
You have to remember that Blu-Ray and HD-DVD technology is new. All new technology is expensive. When CDs first came out, Sony's CD player was around $1400. Compared to the Blu-Ray and HD-DVD, CD players were about the same price. So saying that its not worth it, your right, right now. Give it a few years, and it will be more consumer friendly, and hopefully one will be adopted over the other.[/QUOTE
correct and i agree. heck when CD-R started becoming mainstream about 10 years ago i remember them costing an arm and a leg. to be honest i don't see either format completely "winning" this war. blu ray has HDDVD on the storage capacity, but HDDVD beats blu ray by being a cheaper alternative when it comes to production. i see HD DVD making a home in our living rooms for our entertainment purposes, and i see Blu Ray being a computer storage medium. either way they both are great formats, but have their own downfalls and positives. i have the 360 drive and when i hooked it up to my neighbor's 1080p television Kong looked just as good as any Blu Ray movie i've seen on a HD television.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1 GB RAM, 80GB Hard Drive, 80GB Video iPod (Black)
I hope HD DVD wins the war. I just despise Sony and its business practices, always trying to lock its customers into the "Sony" way of doing things. Yes, I know a lot of companies are guilty of this including Apple, but Sony just takes the biscuit.

I used to be a fan of Sony and got loads of Sony kit like the Walkman, Mini Disc, 2 x DiscMan, 2 x TV, Hi-Fi...buying them all on the belief that they are of better quality so I was prepared to pay the premium. All these products died after about a year. The only to Sony products I have now are the PS2 and Sony Ericcsson K750i phone, both of which have been great pieces of kit. That is all Sony seem good at now is consoles and phones, although time will tell if the PS3 lives up to the hype, my bro has an XBox 360 and that takes some beating, plus he got it nearly half the price of a PS3. Apparently, Sony are still making a loss on PS3...the way I see it is, Sony are going down!! The world will be a lot better place without them.

End of rant.

I don't think they will start putting Blu-Ray or HD-DVD on Macs or PCs until prices come down...they may give it as an option or make it standard on high-end PCs, but I doubt it will be for a while. Plus Apple are probably going to wait a bit and see what happens and see which is more popular and then go with that. Why we need different formats is beyond me anyway. USB is standard, FireWire is standard, CD-R is standard...then with DVD recordables they started making a big fuss over standards and whos was better, can't these companies work together and make an all-in-one product that is better for the consumer, instead it all seems to be about empires and vertical integration.

Reaction score
I reckon there is going to b a short 'war' after which one format will emerge victorious and the other consigned to the waste bin of history along with betamax. HDDVD will almost certainly become the de facto standard, but I could be wrong.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" macbook C2D; 24" Imac, 8GB Iphone
I hope HD DVD wins the war. I just despise Sony and its business practices, always trying to lock its customers into the "Sony" way of doing things. Yes, I know a lot of companies are guilty of this including Apple, but Sony just takes the biscuit.

I used to be a fan of Sony and got loads of Sony kit like the Walkman, Mini Disc, 2 x DiscMan, 2 x TV, Hi-Fi...buying them all on the belief that they are of better quality so I was prepared to pay the premium. All these products died after about a year. The only to Sony products I have now are the PS2 and Sony Ericcsson K750i phone, both of which have been great pieces of kit. That is all Sony seem good at now is consoles and phones, although time will tell if the PS3 lives up to the hype, my bro has an XBox 360 and that takes some beating, plus he got it nearly half the price of a PS3. Apparently, Sony are still making a loss on PS3...the way I see it is, Sony are going down!! The world will be a lot better place without them.

End of rant.

I don't think they will start putting Blu-Ray or HD-DVD on Macs or PCs until prices come down...they may give it as an option or make it standard on high-end PCs, but I doubt it will be for a while. Plus Apple are probably going to wait a bit and see what happens and see which is more popular and then go with that. Why we need different formats is beyond me anyway. USB is standard, FireWire is standard, CD-R is standard...then with DVD recordables they started making a big fuss over standards and whos was better, can't these companies work together and make an all-in-one product that is better for the consumer, instead it all seems to be about empires and vertical integration.

For someone who doesnt lyk sony i bet you have at least one piece of sony equipment in your house but anyway
I thought you might appreciate this SONY LINK
Its pretty funny and true

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
The Playstation 3 is still the trump card for Blu Ray. I see no reason why it shouldn't emerge as the top console once again - there's a massive Playstation userbase out there who will probably stick with what they know and go for a PS3.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 2.3 ghz 6.5 GB ram 20" cinema display ..15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Core 2 Duo 2 Gig RAM
Yep, My brother bought his kids a PS3 exactly for that reason...why spend more for a piece of equipment that only plays blueray when you can get the PS3 cheaper?

I hope if they do offer them in a MAC its an option until the price drops on them. I can wait for the newer technology to be more reasonable, $1k for a player or recorder is too much and the disks alone are outrageous.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.