My iMac wont re-instal from OSX 10.0 instal disk...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMacG4 1ghz. 17 inch.
I have tried to re-install OSX from scratch. I formated the hard drive and treid to install from my Mac OSX 10.3 install disk. The installer begins but wont continue after the message: "installer cannot continue because a previous version of Mac OSX is not installed. "
So I have put in my copy of the original OSX 10.0 disk that came with my powerbook G4 from 2001. The disk will not boot. THe computer has a Grey screen with a question mark. So I cant get any further. What can i do. Its been 3 weeks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
You won't be able to use the install disk from your powerbook, asit does a hardware check before installing. It sounds like you are trying to upgrade instead of install, which would be why its telling you that there isn't a previous version of OS X to be found.

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMacG4 1ghz. 17 inch.
So If I dont have an instal disk but only upgrade disks, what are my options? Do I have to buy a new copy of OSX?

M

MacHeadCase

Yes you need to buy full install disks.

The install disks that come with computers are model specific so that's why your PowerBook install disks don't work on the iMac.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.