Folder with "?" - Bad sign?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 GHz Black Intel Core Duo Macbook, 2 GB Ram, 100 GB HD, 60 GB black iPod Video, 8 GB iPhone
When I boot up my computer now, a folder with a question mark appears for a few seconds, then it begins to boot normally. This started happening after I removed my windows partition using boot camp. Is this a bad sign? Should I be worried about this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
The folder with ? means its having problems finding a drive to boot from.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
go into system preferences, select 'startup disk' and make sure that your hd is selected as your startup disk
-chris

OP
Fromasta Flex
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 GHz Black Intel Core Duo Macbook, 2 GB Ram, 100 GB HD, 60 GB black iPod Video, 8 GB iPhone
Yeah it is, and it does find the drive to boot from eventually, but I was just worried that it had to search. Should I do anything?

M

MacHeadCase

Do you have DiskWarrior? I personally would run it on that hard drive...

Did you try running Disk utility on it to see?

OP
Fromasta Flex
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hmm...I don't have DiskWarrior....I tried repairing permissions with Disk Utility, should I do anything else with it?

OP
Fromasta Flex
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I verified permissions and the disk, and repaired permission, and everything said it was ok. I guess that means its ok? Just weird that it has to search when it boots up, not a big deal I guess, though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Go back into that System Preferences pane mentioned before, reselect your OS X folder, and click the Lock to make sure its saved

OP
Fromasta Flex
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Bah....stupid me, it was because I had nothing selected in the startup section of system prefs, and I thought I did. I thought this because I did originally, but I guess removing windows must have caused it to deselect or something. Oh well, all fixed now, thanks everyone.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.