Rebooting to free the RAM?

Reaction score
One thing I really love about my Mac is that I rarely have to reboot it. However, by using a little system monitor in my toolbar I've been noticing that the amount of free RAM goes down when I use an app, but hardly goes back up at all when I close it. Should I be restarting periodically to free up my RAM? Thanks!

Reaction score
G'day Thalias,

I recommend logging out if you're able to. Your Mac will run smoother for it. I log out whenever I know I'm going to be away for a while.

Doing so should free up some RAM, IMHO.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Simple question, but when you "close" the program, do you just hit the red "x" in the upper left corner or do you quit by clicking on the application name in the Taskbar on top and selecting the Quit option (or using the Apple + Q shortcut)?

If you're just hitting the little "x", then you're not really closing the program, which would explain why your RAM isn't getting freed up.

Reaction score
My advice: log out once per day. You might just log out at night when you’re done using the computer, leave the machine running, then log in again in the morning. (It’s ok to let the monitor/display/screen/whatever-you-call-it go to sleep.)

This accomplishes a couple of things, at least:

If you generally run the same software applications most of the time, it will clear out a lot of memory and give those apps a chance to “start over.” This is a very good thing for nearly every modern program: most will run faster, and it will put a stop to some “weird behavior” (that’s the technical term).
Leaving your Mac running (but logged off) at night allows the system (via a utility called cron that you’ll never see) to run some system maintenance utilities: another minor performance boon, and it will save a little space on your hard drive. (I actually don’t know if Windows does anything like this also.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Does Cron not run if you're not logged off?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
There is memory and there is memory. Generally, *nix systems (and this includes Mac OS X) consider that unused memory is wasted memory. In general, they will fill up available memory over time on purpose, caching stuff there to improve performance. This is not a bad thing. Memory usage will creep up over time, and this is design intent.

On the Mac, there are four types of memory buckets reported on:

Wired memory
This is memory that applications or the system needs immediate access to, so it can't be cached to disk. It will vary depending on what applications you're using.

Active memory
This is memory that is actively being used.

Inactive memory
This memory is no longer being used and has been cached to disk. It'll remain in RAM until another application needs the space.

Free memory
This memory is not being used.

It is probably the Inactive memory that you are seeing going up? This is what happens on my system over time. Inactive memory goes up and up, and this seems to have no performance implications at all - just standard *nix memory management.

If it is wired memory, that is a different matter.

OP
T
Reaction score
Thanks everyone!

Kash: No, I've learned enough about Macs so far to know that you have to manually quit the program for it to really be closed, and that's what I do (most of the time.).

I'm going to try logging off every night now, instead of just putting it to sleep. Thanks for the advice everyone!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.