My G5 Quad Processor sounds like a server

Reaction score
I love my quad processor G5 (had it for 1 year), but recently it is super loud. Hasnt slowed down just sounds like a freagin' server the fan is so loud.

anything i can do about this?

Thanks,
Randal

randalford.com

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I forget, does the Quad G5 have air cooling or liquid cooling?

If it's air cooling, then you may have accumulated dust on the heatsinks, which makes the fans blow harder to keep the processors cool. I suggest getting a can of compressed air and blowing all the dust out.

If it's liquid cooling, then there might be dust on the radiator, or whatever Apple used in place of a radiator. Same thing, take a can of compressed air and blow out the dust.

If there's no dust, then it's a sign that your fans might be failing. I would suggest either replacing them or getting them replaced by Apple if you're still covered by AppleCare.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Excellent point Kash! This was discussed in this thread just recently:

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53956

Other causes may be that your sensors or fan control units have failed, or that you have a software bug causing a kernel panic (but I suspect you would notice that), or perhaps you have just added a new card, disk or something else that is overheating inside the case?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
That was exactly what I thought mac57!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
get the cobwebs out of your computer with a can of compressed air, and something static free to wipe it down with. i had an insane amount of dust/etc. built up in my g5 tower in a little over a year
-chris

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.