using VIM

Reaction score
good day all,

I've got a small problem which ive only just run into concerning vim. Basically, im going through my C books/pdfs at the moment to touch up on my programming. I did this on Linux last year and used Kate as the editor and a terminal window to compile the code etc.

This time..all i want is 2 terminal windows...one for vim so i can edit the code and the second so i can compile the code. Basically....ive completely forgotten all knowledge of vim. I only managed to work out how to input text into the file. But obviously i need to save it etc.

Anyone got any VIM tips for a mac newb? Also, im in dire need of a disk cleaning utility.

thanks in advance

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I looked to see what vim is. I find that it is a better version of vi. So if you know vi, then you should not have a problem.

I also found a list of commands. Here the is the Vim tutorial.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
There are two things I would recommend:

1/ If you can stil get it, I would recommend the wonderful book "The Ultimate Guide to the VI and EX Text Editors" by Hewlett Packard, ISBN0-8053-4460-8, copyright 1990. This is, without exception, the best guide to vi (and hence vim) that I have ever seen.

2/ A shameless plug for my own VE text editor. See http://www.campbell-tx.net/campbellware/ve.html. I wrote the original of VE back in the early 90s and have been adding to it ever since, but always with the design objective of being small, fast and focused. Late last year I built a Mac OS X 10.4.8 version of it and released it to my web site. VE is much easier to use than vi and in many ways, more powerful. Like vi, it is a console/xterm/Terminal based text editor. You will find a complete user guide along with it, which includes a handy one page "getting started guide" that shows you all the key operations right away.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.