[help] Price range for used G3 / G4 / G5' ?

M

Mr.Guvernment

Hey all

I was looking around and finding some low priced used g3/g4 and g5's

i wanted to get a MAC to mess with so i can become familiar with OS - preferably OSX

What would you suggest are good price ranges for used

G3
G4
G5's ?

I assume for entry level messing aorund i would not need a G5' - but if the price is right why not!

I would be using this system though with PhotoShop / macromedia studio MX and maybe Ilife if it comes with it - - so it has to have decent specs in it, so i gues a good price range for a "decent" used MAC..

all help is aprpeciated!

OP
C

Chamorro

All of the prices differ according to age/power/features:
G3's will probably run between $150 to $600 (US)
G4's typically go between $400 to $1200+(US)
G5's will probably be about $200 to $500 below list prices of the current models.

These are all really rough estimates.

OP
M

Mr.Guvernment

^^ as long as i have a rough idea :) Since the MAc market is new to me - i have ben searching around and trying to get as best of an idea as i can.

i dont know why but i want to learn new stuff - recently grabbed debian linux to convert my windows serevr 2003 web sever into alinux server so i figure why not venture into the world of nix even more and see if i can get a decent priced use MAC :)

OP
M

Mr.Guvernment

What about laptop / ibook prices

G3's
G5's

example:

IBOOK G3 500 Mhz 192 MB CD-R 12"1 - $350 ?
IBOOK G3 600 Mhz 640 MB 15 GB DVD 12 " - $500

Would a G3 have problems running OSX?

OP
C

Chamorro

iBook range looks about right....maybe on the low side.
No G5 laptops (yet).
G4, there are PowerBooks and iBooks.
PowerBooks have been around for a while, so they'll be similar to G4 desktops (probably more in the area of $550 to $1700+).
G4 iBooks will probably float in the $750+ range.

G3's can run OSX fine, but go for the G4 if you have the money....just get lots of memory too.

OP
M

Mr.Guvernment

^^^ yeah - a G3 just sounds too old ...lol

i am looking @ G4 and up - i would get a G5 if i had the extra $$$ flaoting around but i dont :(

even though i am not to familiar with the enw MAC's - it would not take long and i know i would put it touse.

Donations welcome ;)

OP
M

Mr.Guvernment

how this? - used..
US $995.00

Dual 800MHz G4 Processors
1GB RAM
80GB Hard Drive
Super Drive (CDRW/DVD/DVD-R/DVD-RW)
2 FireWire Ports
2 USB Ports
10/100 Ethernet Port
OS 10.1.6 Installed

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Pwnt
Sounds OK - although bear in mind that you'll probably want to spend some more money upgrading to Panther.

OP
C

Chamorro

Mr.Guvernment said:
Do standard LCD / CRT displays work on Mac's ? i assume so........

Yes. Same issues as w/ PC's....make sure the graphics card and display have the same interface, or you'll have to get a converter. Remember that Apple LCD's (and a couple of other makers) use Apple's proprietary ADC connector: 1 connection w/ DVI, USB and power.

PS - interesting find on eBay, can't seem to find the catch, but it does seem too low-priced.

OP
M

Mr.Guvernment

^^ i emailed the guy - has a few days left but he says it should reach the $2200 range - already @ US $935.00

i should know that by now - since i , like many other wait until the last 30 mins or less to start bidding, really no point in bidding sooner.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.