Bootcamp and XP SP2

Reaction score
Edge of the Cotswold (Just next to Liz's Gaff!!!)
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, 2gb, 250gb HD
Hi All,

I'm a recent switcher from the dark side, but whilst still in shall we call it transistion mode I'd like to install XP using Boot Camp.

Now I am not sure if anyone can help - but I do have an original XP Professional Disk which is SP1 which I realise will not help me. Is there anyway I can obtain an XP SP2 disk from MS as I hold the original disk? I am based in the UK.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Rich

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Actually, you can make your own SP2 disc. First, download SP2 from Microsoft's website. Then go and download a program called nLite. The program will ask for your original Windows CD.

With nLite, you can create a new installation disc with SP2 added in (also known as slipstreamed). The program also lets you do all sorts of other stuff, like get rid of Windows components you'll never use and add other programs.

OP
celtictricky
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Kash.

I managed to get hold of a copy of XP Black Edition which is working a treat with boot camp.

Installation was pretty straight forward. The only thing I have a question about is how do you right click using the mac keyboard????

Thanks

Rich

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Once you install the drivers that Boot Camp puts on a CD, you'll be able to right-click the same way you would in Mac OS X, by tapping with two fingers on the trackpad.

Reaction score
XP Black Edition? My understanding is that it's a pirated version that was never actually produced by Microsoft. Does anyone have info to the contrary?

OP
celtictricky
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
XP Black Edition? My understanding is that it's a pirated version that was never actually produced by Microsoft. Does anyone have info to the contrary?

Todd

You are quite right, it is I believe a pirated version, although I have used it with my legitimate serial number!

I had an original XP disk, but it was only SP1 which was no good for bootcamp - and I was not about to buy another copy of XP just for SP2.

Rich

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.