free forum - spam prevention

OP
rcronin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook white, 2.0 Intel Core 2 Duo Pro, 2 GB RAM, 13" screen
RNDdave;337925only said:
I thought I'd have a look at freebb and I can't get anything to work - I try signing up - the page is unavailable - I try testing - page unavailable - You may find that it's freeBB that's the problem rather than anything else

As a side note - when I tried to create a free forum (to see what options were available) it sent me to 86.freebb.com <- didn't you say that was yours?

Apparently their whole site just cr*pped out. A bit ironic that I was looking around and hemming and hawing for a week and when I pull the trigger and spent most of yesterday setting them up and contacting all the potential members - then their whole site collapses.

Thanks for the other links (comparision of forums) I really appreciate it!

Reaction score
Except for the spam members, I've had no complaints about phpBB.

The spam members only affect the admins. I have it set to require admin-level authorization for any new member to join. So when someone signs up, the admins get an email. We go to the board, determine whether it's a legit or faux account, and react accordingly. I delete about 5 accounts per day right now.

As long as you like the basic format/structure of the phpBB boards, the software is otherwise very user-friendly and capable in my limited experience.

M

MacHeadCase

*Snip*
IPB also requires you to pay for it. (I think)
*Snip*

A couple of years ago, I was a member of another forum (don't ask...) and the admin/owner/god there ran IPB in demo mode for a certain number of months. Is it possible to run it in demo mode forever? I dunno, prolly not. And there is the possibility that IPB has completely abolish the trial period. I do know they have split but can't remember what the new company is called.

But you could run in demo mode. The only thing that is fuzzy for me at the mo, is the period the trial was and if they still allow demo/trial mode nowadays.

I think phpBB needs some tweaking to prevent the spambots and stuff. Unless you hide the forum from google/yahoo indexing?

OP
rcronin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook white, 2.0 Intel Core 2 Duo Pro, 2 GB RAM, 13" screen
I think I'm going to try to stick with phpBB. But jeez! the freebb site's server has been down for 24+ hours. What the heck? Free stuff. Man.

I went to Proboards and got one of their forums (this is my THIRD one!!!). And may I say, so far, I hate it. The interface to set up the forum, the categories and discussions, is a total PIA and not user friendly at all. And changing the skin - seems like I'll need a computer science degree after all. That stupid freeBB site was the easiest, easiest thing ever!!!

My score card so far:

Vanilla - two thumbs down
FreeBB - either 2 thumbs up or 2 thumbs down. Can't decide
Proboard - one thumb down

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.