iMac G5 Power PC Ethernet Port Issue

Reaction score
Hey everyone. Just wondering if anyone would be able to offer any insight to a problem I'm having.

I'm running an iMac G5 Power PC. Earlier today the computer froze (I wasn't doing anything special, just running iTunes and MSN Messenger) and had to be restarted. Upon restart the computer worked as normal with the exception of the internet. I received an error indicating I was not connected to the internet, even though the modem was on and active. I restarted my modem -- still nothing. I then moved the modem to my laptop (iBook G4) and found that I was able to connect with no problems, so that leads me to believe it has nothing to do with the modem or my ISP at all. I ran Network Diagnostics and received the message:

"Not connected to Ethernet. This computer does not seem to be connected to a DSL or cable modem, or to an Ethernet network."

Has anyone else had this problem? Can it be rectified by something as simple as formatting the computer, or will I have to take the computer into a tech to have it repaired?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Ahleeseeah

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
I would start by ensuring that nothing is messed up in your network settings. Check out your System Preferences -> Network thoroughly to be sure that you may not have inadvertantly changed something. Do the settings look the same as the settings for the G4... focus on anything that is different.

Also, be sure that your cables are tightly seated (did you use the same cable when you moved the modem to the G4?) and that the port on your modem is OK - I once had a 4 port DSL modem where ONE of the ports quite suddenly went bad. So be sure once you have things working with the G4 that you try your G5 using the same port on the DSL modem and the same cable. Literally just unplug the cable from your working G4 and plug it into your G5.

So, no need to get draconian yet. At this point, there is not yet enough information to recommend reformatting or reinstalling. Lets walk through the above debugging steps and take it from there.

OP
ahleeseeah
Reaction score
Mac57 -- first and foremost, thank you for your help.

I just checked my network settings on the G5 vs. the G4 and they are identical.

The cables are tightly seated, and I did use the same cable when I moved the modem to the G4. I tried switching cables and found the same results -- works perfectly with the G4 but no response from the G5. The port on the modem seems to be okay as like I said, it works with the G4. I made sure I used all the same ports and still, no response from the G5.

I'm not sure where to go from here ... any advice?

Thanks again,
Ahleeseeah

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.