I've switched

OP
K

KLank

I believe the latching problem on early 15" pb's is a know issue. If you bring it to apple they will fix it. If you don't have an apple store near you I believe that I saw somewhere instructions of what you need to do to fix it yourself.

OP
P

phenom

15" Powerbook purchased about three weeks ago.

I already talked to the apple store, and they've offered to attempt the "fix" you're talking about, KLank, however, if that doesn't do it, it'll have to go in.

Also, I'm not willing to do it myself, because if it breaks, the entire display will have to be replaced, and I'd bet the Apple Care won't cover that.

The problem with it all is that I do in fact have an Apple store sorta nearby, but it's still almost an hour door-to-door. I hate to make the trip again.

We'll see what happens.

OP
S

StarManta

I think it's as simple as bending the latch, if I recall correctly.

And while I doubt your display is at much of a risk, that's a good precaution - AC won't cover it, and for my TiBook they told me it would cost $1600 for a screen replacement (or $200 if I buy off eBay and fix it myself... which I plan to do eventually...)

OP
K

KLank

True. I didn't realize that it was brand new. I would bring it to Apple rather than risk breaking it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 2.2GHz powered by AMD Opteron - *Sends G5 & 8Gb Ram to scrap heap* Yeah! finally switched BACK!
Welcome to the humble home of Mac land.

Just wondered... how much time did you waste messing around with those PC things prior to switching? Because of missing, incorrect drivers, incompatible hardware etc, etc...

I used a Mac now for almost 15 years, maybe longer. I still have Me Colour Classic with it's huge 8Mb of RAM... Still works too!

OP
S

StarManta

Apple's longevity continues to amaze me.
I remember seeing Jobs' keynote this year, and when he said "40% of our users are on OS X." I remember thinking "Only 40%?" That means that over half of the Macs in use right now are at <i>least</i> four years old. Think about that.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.