• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

The Death Of Powerpc

Reaction score
Here's a video I thought I'd share about the death of powerpc:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=TVQrTTJyXuQ
In HD: http://download.yousendit.com/B6C3686D11546745 (requires registration but it's worth it)
www.applecollector.com
The creator is sylvester halasz and you can see more of his videos from www.youtube.com but clicking on the "OSXMOBILE" user link in that youtube link at the very top. I originally asked him for an HD version and it took about a month for him to find it again and upload it on a website so I can download it. I've watched it many times and I still love it so I thought I'd share it with you guys.

M

MacHeadCase

Welcome to Mac-Forums, seekdestroy16.

Thanks for linking us to that video. It's well made. A year ago I would have balled out my eyes but I'm ok now with the move to Intel. :girl:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual Core 2.3Ghz Powermac G5 1.5GB Ram 256Mb Graphics Card 500Gb Storage,Powerbook 12" 1.5Ghz 1.25G
Hello,
I'm the one whom created that Movie :p i've signed up to this lovely forum for the sole purpose to post this message.
Little About Me:

I'm Sylvester i'm a mac fan "obviously" i collect macs as i'm sure most of you do and when the announcement to intel was made (well a few days before) i started making this movie "Death to PPC" i have over 3000 views to date and more keep coming in.
I hope you like my movie and i thank seekdestroy very much for posting it.
A higher quality version is up for about another 5 days so i hope maybe someone could bit torrent it with credits of course.
So yea Enjoy and if you want to contact me directly you can email me all my details are in my profile and the music i can also give out since it's freely avaliable on the net.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual Core 2.3Ghz Powermac G5 1.5GB Ram 256Mb Graphics Card 500Gb Storage,Powerbook 12" 1.5Ghz 1.25G
Please post your comment in regards to my movie/ movies thanks! :-D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.1
I really liked the movie on the death of the PowerPC. I was pretty sure that I was going to sell my powerbook g4 for a mac book pro but now after watching that movie I'm not so sure anymore.

Great movie mate. Keep em coming.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Reaction score
I'm really afraid it's slowly closing in...

Can anyone BELIEVE that Joost is not a universal app!!! It's Intel only! How horrible is that!

BTW, really like the movie, especially the ending from around 3:45 .

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4 1.2 1.25Gig RAM Emac 1.42Ghz 1GB RAM
Power architecture is still, imo, a better foundation than the x86. In the real world, apple lost with PowerPC because they didn't get the backing for desktop PowerPC that they needed.

Consider, the Power6 is going into blade servers. The really small ones.

To get some basis of comparison, see the spec marks here for the old Power5 processors - note they are always in the top running:

http://www.aceshardware.com/SPECmine/top.jsp

According to the article below, the Power6 is twice as fast as a 2.2Ghz Power5.

If that's true, that makes the new Power6 architecture significantly faster in all areas than anything the competition (including Intel) currently has.

This has little to do with what's going on in the desktop world, but once IBM puts this puppy into its midrange and high end servers, it's going to really put a damper on the party for Intel and HP. Look at these TPC numbers and consider, IBM's will probably go up by 50% or more with Power6 :

http://www.tpc.org/tpcc/results/tpcc_perf_results.asp?resulttype=noncluster

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,2134418,00.asp?kc=EWRSS03119TX1K0000594

"The Power6 processor, unveiled at an event on May 21 in London, is a dual-core chip with a top clock speed of 4.7GHz, double the 2.3GHz of the Power5+ processors. The new chip also includes 8MB of L2 cache – four times as large as the current Power5 offering – and an internal bandwidth of 300GB per second."

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I'm really afraid it's slowly closing in...

Can anyone BELIEVE that Joost is not a universal app!!! It's Intel only! How horrible is that!

It's only because the Joost idiots are lazy.....

If an open source App like Handbrake can bother to be Universal, there is no reason for Joost not to be other than they were lazy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks

Thank you very much for all your positive comments.
I have received a high volume of people asking me to add more content in to the video and i will be following up the requests.
I will be re-making this video and extending it.
I will keep the old one online and i will also upload a high quality version of it on my site.
So please keep a look out for it, I will post here once it's been released.
Thank You

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Can I ask what is the piece of music called that you used throughout this movie?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.