Browsers crashing

Reaction score
Got home from work and tried to start surfing the net, Safari wouldn't load my homepage, ESPN.com, and then it would crash. Did this several times in a row. I then tried Mozilla Firefox with the same result. I was able to get to the Apple page through the link on the Dock, but then Safari will crash when I type in an address in the bar.

M

MacHeadCase

Hello juventusfc99.

I think the best right now would be to reset Safari. If that doesn't work, download MainMenu and use to clean out all the browsers caches.

If the problem still persists, create a new user account and log into to it. See if the problem happens in there too. If it doesn't it means there is something wrong with your user account. If it does then the problem is system-wide and needs to be tackled in a different way.

OP
J
Reaction score
Well, I tried resetting Safari and that didn't work. I downloading that MainMenu program, which looks like a very useful utility, and cleaned all the caches but that didn't work either. Created a new admin account and the problem still persists, even on the new account. Anybody else have any suggestions?

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Some times running the disk utility application to repair permissions will fix odd problems. You might give it a try and see if it helps.

Reaction score
Run Onyx and if that doesnt work try setting google as your homepage because it has less things to load than ESPN.com and apple.com and quiting out of every other application. My Safari is running slow, but if I quit out of the other applications it runs faster.

M

MacHeadCase

gnrfsu, MainMenu, that I suggested above, is pretty much the same as OnyX. It seems it didn't do juventusfc99 any good so guess the solution is something other than MainMenu or OnyX.

I use both but vastly prefer the convenience of MainMenu myself.

OP
J
Reaction score
So it's looking like I'm going to have to just take my computer up to the nearest Apple store and let them fix it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
That shouldn't be necessary. Try trashing your Safari pref file.
Go to :

/User/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Safari.plist

and then remove the file "com.apple.Safari.plist" and move it to somewhere like your Desktop.

Restart Safari. If it starts up fine, then take the file that you just moved to your Desktop and Trash it.

OP
J
Reaction score
That shouldn't be necessary. Try trashing your Safari pref file.
Go to :

/User/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Safari.plist

and then remove the file "com.apple.Safari.plist" and move it to somewhere like your Desktop.

Restart Safari. If it starts up fine, then take the file that you just moved to your Desktop and Trash it.

I tried that and it didn't work either. Any other suggestions?

Oh yeah, and its not just Safari that's doing this, Firefox is doing it too.

Thanks

M

MacHeadCase

Create a new user account and log in to this account, see if the problem persists there as well.

If not, you have installed something in your usual account that messed up something and you'd have to see if you didn't install something just before the Mac started acting up..

If the problem happens in the new account, then the problem is system-wide and could be caused by an app that was installed for all users or it could be something that is common to all users on the Mac that is corrupted.

OP
J
Reaction score
Somebody already suggested that I try this, I did and determined that it is a system wide problem becuase it still happened on a new account. But how do I go about determining exactly what application is causing the problem?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacs 17+20" 2.16GHz 2GB RAM 500MB HDD 256MB Graphic card. 60Gig 5th gen iPod with Video
MHC has answered your question. Maybe you should uninstall the last app you installed before the trouble started . Also disconnect anything you may have connected to your mac other than the keyboard and Mouse

OP
J
Reaction score
I deleted the last three applications that I've installed and still the problem persists. Just to be sure, all there is to uninstalling apps is to move them from the Applications folder to the Trash, right?

M

MacHeadCase

It depends on which app it is. Some are more intricate than others and will install bits that the system still acknowledges, while some have their own uninstallers like Palm Desktop or M$ Word.

I really like things to be fast and easy so for most uninstalls I use AppZapper, if the app doesn't have its own uninstaller.

OP
J
Reaction score
Alright I deleted a few applications by just dragging them into the trash, so I don't know if it got rid of all of the parts. I deleted some more of the recent ones with App Zapper, now all I have that wasn't preloaded is Handbrake Lite, VLC, Office, and a couple of games...which have been on my system for a while with no problems.

OP
J
Reaction score
If anyone cares to know, I think the problem has been fixed. I deleted some programs and downloaded the latest OSX update and my browser has finally stopped crashing all the time.

Thanks for the help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.