Deleting Admin User Account

Reaction score
I recovered my old laptop that I gave my daughter when she went to college. The only thing I could find was the laptop, however, I do have the original software for the operating system and applications. I purchased a power adapter, plugged it in and found that there is an admin user that I did not create when I first set up the computer. She has no idea who did it, why they did it, nor the passcode to get into it. Therefore, even though I have my admin user account that I set up, I cannot delete this user account due to lack of privilege. So, is there any way to delete this account without having to reinstall everything?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
If you are an admin user, all you have to do to delete the other admin account is go to System prefs>accounts. Click the lock to unlock and enter your password, select the unwanted account and click the '-' button under the dialog box to delete it.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Would encourage you to create a new account with admin privileges prior to deleting the only one on the machine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.