New user problem.

Reaction score
Hey I just bought my first mac today, a mb 2gh. One thing i'm abit confused about thogh, having only enough mac experience to convince me to buy one, is that when i download a program, it wont let me remove to .dmg without removing the whole program. Is there anyway around this so I dont have to have 2 icons around for every program I download? Another thing, is the NeoOffice that everyone is saying to get just the beta version? Or is there a more stable and tested version out?
Thanks for any help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Welcome.... when you download an application it will show the .dmg on your desktop... normally OS X will auto-open the .dmg in a Finder Window... You will then see the Application icon, and probably a "read me" file. From this point just drag and drop the application icon into your "applications" folder. Now close the finder window... then drag and drop the .dmg (that is still on your desktop) into the trash. Now simply go into your application folder double click the application icon. This will open up the application, which may guide you through the initial installation process (or may not)... Next... ENJOY.

Welcome to Mac-Forums. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBA. 15" MBP. iPhone 4. 3G Pad 2.
dmgs ~ Double click the dmg and drag the app into the application folder in finder.
I drag them into a dmg folder just in case I need to reinstall them. Otherwise trash.

Neo Office has been going for years ..... the beta is fine and there are regular updates and patches etc. I've been using it for 3 years.
NeoOffice forums.
http://trinity.neooffice.org/modules.php?name=Forums

OP
R
Reaction score
yeah i do all that but i delete the .dmg then when i try to open to application it says the alias is gone. And whats with the ejecting programs that arent cds? sorry im just completly confused atm.

Just got it, i was copying the dmg to the applications folder, not the application. sorry bout that you'll probably be getting alot more questions from me in the near future.

OP
R
Reaction score
got another problem, im trying to install a game onto my mac but its not even picking up that theres a cd in the drive. the disc can be used on pcs and macs and i know it works on macs because i just installed it on a friends. the only difference between our computers is that his is a core duo and that mine is a core 2 duo. anyone got a reason why this might be happening?

M

MacHeadCase

What is the game you are referring to?

Maybe your MacBook doesn't meet requirements or it needs dedicated video RAM.

BTW, welcome to Mac-Forums, RMar. :girl:

Reaction score
Well if it's both PC and MAc I'm gonna guess world of warcraft. YOu might wanna check out the WOW mac support forum. (tired to get link, but the site is down sorry)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.