File Types

Reaction score
Everytime I take pictures I have to edit them which means I have to save them as psd files. After that I have to re-save as a jpeg file so I can host it on photobucket. Problem with this is that whenever I do this, I get a decent image, but the colours are off compared to what I made in PS.
So does anyone know a better file type to convert my psd from, that is compatible with photobucket.
Or is there a better way to convert my psd to a jpeg so I don't lose my colours.
Thanks,

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 2.3 ghz 6.5 GB ram 20" cinema display ..15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Core 2 Duo 2 Gig RAM
Ruke,
When your saving the images to JPEGs for photobucket are you converting the colorspace to sRGB? If not that will be your color issue.

Give that a try.

OP
Ruke
Reaction score
I think so.
But could you explain how to save a file as a JPEG using your method.(im using PS CS3)

OP
Ruke
Reaction score
okay so i was doing it right the entire time.
I dont know whats up. Someone told me that the safari browser has a different colours space.
i dont really know what that means, but it seems technical enough to be right

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 2.3 ghz 6.5 GB ram 20" cinema display ..15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Core 2 Duo 2 Gig RAM
My understanding is that Safari will assume an untagged image to be RGB and not sRGB, and I am unsure if there is a way to change that.

However most other browsers will assume sRGB and therefore it is to your benefit to save them in that color space unless your intended viewers are all using safari.

To save my images using photoshop as sRGB, I simply go to Image=>Mode=>Convert to (Color space) profile. I am not at my workstation and do not have photoshop, hope that is the correct path.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
As mentioned above, and in a little more detail, the issue may be that Photoshop understands color management while most PC based programs do not. So, if you are viewing your shots in Photoshop, and then posting them, and then viewing through a non color management aware browser, you may see color shifts.

This is the Adobe RGB / sRGB issue mentioned above. Please note that converting files to jpg doesn't change the color space, so the greatest likelihood is that you are using Adobe RGB for your images while everything you are viewing the images with after posting is interpreting them as sRGB. This does cause color shifts.

There is a straightforward fix. With Photoshop, you can use the Edit->Convert to Profile dialog to change the profile to sRGB with essentially no color shift (small loss, since sRGB isn't as wide a gamut as Adobe RGB). Once done, you should get more consistent color reproduction in browsers and non Mac computers, although it will still vary, monitor to monitor.

Finally, if you are posting a large volume of images, you can automate this process with Photoshop CS2 at least. Check out File->Scripts->Image Processor, which will let you reformat entire folders worth of photos in one dialog, INCLUDING changing their color space to sRGB! I use this whenever preparing sets of image for web publication.

One caution: the Image Processor doesn't know what to do with images that don't have any color space tagged to them and will stop if it encounters one. So, make sure all images you are feeding to it have a color space tag (all images from pretty much any decent camera are tagged, so this is a minor worrry).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I must spread out rep more before giving Mac57 additional points for expanding on my replies. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" Retina 5K iMac 3.2Ghz Quad 24GB RAM, 1TB HD. iPhone 11.
This is a colour space mismatch issue.

What are your profile settings in Save For Web?

If your camera is set to Abobe 1998 colour space than you should set Photoshop to that Working Space and vica versa if your camera is set to sRGB. Incidentally, if you shoot in RAW than the colour space of your camera is irrelevant in which case you should check what colour space you have defined in your RAW editor/Camera RAW and set Photoshop to the same Working Space.

If you are using Adobe 1998 then before you save for the web you need to convert it to sRGB which you do by Edit/Convert To Profile and select sRGB. Now when you go to Save For Web you need to click on the little black arrow in the top right corner of the image preview area and from the drop down list select "Use Document Color Profile".

Now when you save your jpeg it will be in the sRGB colour space with an sRGB tag and will then display correctly in all browsers which only support sRGB.

HTH

OP
Ruke
Reaction score
ok thanks for the help
also im in need of some dire help with PS CS3 and its gif animator.
i was told to copy and paste to make the frames but that doesnt work
can anyone help me out with this?

OP
Ruke
Reaction score
okay i got the whole gif animation thingy and it works very well
but i need to know how to save the thing!
anyone that is on this second please help me!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP - 2.66Ghz Core 2 duo, 4GB Ram, 320GB HDD, Geforce 9400m + 9600M GT (256mb)
Can you not just save it as an animated gif? (.gif)

~~ TS ~~

OP
Ruke
Reaction score
i did
it just saves the last frame
(using PS CS3 BTW)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh right, i havent played around with CS3 yet so dont know my way around it. I just threw that in there as its the usual way to get it working!

Sorry i couldnt help Ruke! :)

~~ TS ~~

OP
Ruke
Reaction score
no worries.
but what do you have for gifs
your a photographer you must know a thing or two about them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
To be honest with you, I cant remember the last time i used animated gifs in my work.

I tend to just use single frame stuff, The only experience i had was with some software years ago which did it for you. Have a look around google to see if you can find any apps.

~~ TS ~~

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Are you sure you really want/need to use animated gifs? Most people don't use them anymore because they got a justifiable reputation for being very annoying and as gif has such a limited gamut of colours they were only suitable for non photographic images. These days there is almost always a better way of doing things then to use animated gifs.

What/where are you using them for?

OP
Ruke
Reaction score
i took a sequence shot and wanted to make it an animation.
but is there a better way to make one?
if so how would i do it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 1.83, iBook G3 800, iMac G3 233, Mac Classic, Apple IIc. And too many PC's to count.
Why don't you use something OTHER then Photbucket?

OP
Ruke
Reaction score
well photobucket wasnt even the topic here so im going to assume that you mean photoshop.
and i would use something else but there really isnt anything else.
ive searched and found a few but they dont really work. the only online one i know of is down for maintinence.
and if you think that photoshop is sooo bad then why dont you recomend something that might work better.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i took a sequence shot and wanted to make it an animation.
but is there a better way to make one?
if so how would i do it.

Flash
iMovie
FrameTheif

Flash is probably your best option, if you don't own that then most video editing applications like iMovie let you import still images and then all you need to be able to do is specify how many frames each image is to be displayed for.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.