iSight and other chat programs

Reaction score
I have a macbook duo core and know that the built in isight can be used with iChat. Is there a way to use isight with other chat programs such as msn messenger (I know ver 6.01 doesn't have video capability) or adium?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0 C2D Black MacBook, Ram = 1gb, 120gb HDD
i was wondering the exact same thing cuz i couldnt find an option for it

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
aMSN allows you to chat with MSN users using the cam

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone X, Watch 3, '18 MBP w/touchbar, '17 iPad Pro 10.5
Adium does not have cam support at all, nor will it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air | iPad | iPhone | iPod Classic | iPod Shuffle | no more money
Adium does not have cam support at all, nor will it.

Thats a shame, I mean I knew it didn't have support - but didn't realise that this was never going to happen.

Did anyone try Fire for IM? I just wondered if that one had iSight support?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" iBook; G4; 1.07 GHz; 512 MB; 30 gig; Combo Drive; Radeon 9200
I would just stick with iChat just to make life more easy. iChat is meant to interface with the camera etc. However, imho, I don't see a point in video instant messaging..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Thats a shame, I mean I knew it didn't have support - but didn't realise that this was never going to happen.

Did anyone try Fire for IM? I just wondered if that one had iSight support?

Fire does not have iSight support and they just announced last week that there will be no more development for the program

However, imho, I don't see a point in video instant messaging..

There are plenty of people who video chats are perfect for. I get to see my family only every couple of months, but with the iSight I can see them every couple of days or whenever we can be online at the same time

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 1.83 C2D, 1GB, 60GB, CD
I have a macbook duo core and know that the built in isight can be used with iChat. Is there a way to use isight with other chat programs such as msn messenger (I know ver 6.01 doesn't have video capability) or adium?

I do not know about msn or adium, however, the isight works great with Yahoo! messenger. Have already had a webcam chat with a friend. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook, Intel Core 2 Duo
yeah it doesnt work with adium, which is the biggest negative about adium. Its a great software otherwise since you only need to download one program (adium) and you can chat with others who have MSN, Yahoo......etc. This why I dont have 3 diffrent messengers to be able to talk to people.
I see above that aMSN supports isight who here uses it, is it a stable program, are the bugs cleared, any crashes.........reason iam asking is iam currently using adium and its stable no crashes whatsoever.

your input is greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0 GHz/1GB/80GB Macbook Core 2 Duo
After limited success with Yahoo Messenger I went ahead and got a .MAC account and started using iChat. iChat is easier to use but you pay for the convenience.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone X, Watch 3, '18 MBP w/touchbar, '17 iPad Pro 10.5
Too bad there is no way to use these chat programs interactively with each other. Unfortunately you are pretty limited as to which messenger program you can choose. Does you no good to have aim if the person you are trying to talk to is on yahoo. It would be nice to use yahoo to chat with someone on aim, or vice-versa. Yahoo is pretty lacking when it comes to features with their mac version of messenger. Anyway, I read somewhere that adium developers have no plans whatsoever to add webcam capabilities to their product.

Reaction score
After limited success with Yahoo Messenger I went ahead and got a .MAC account and started using iChat. iChat is easier to use but you pay for the convenience.

You could have gotten an AIM screen name and used iChat for free.

Reaction score

I use iChat and an AOL screen name with it and I did not pay anything, why did you have to?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.