Linux Bootable Disc on Mac?

T

todd51

I was just curious, every now and then I would use a Linux boot disc on my Windows PC back in the day.

I must say I miss it a bit and I was wondering if it was possible that they would work on my MBP? Just curious, thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Since Macs essentially share the same components with PCs, I would say that LiveCDs should work on Macs just as well as they do on PCs.

You could always just try popping in the CD and see if it works. :black:

Edit: After doing a quick search over at the Knoppix forums, I found that Linux LiveCDs work just fine on Intel based Macs (which is clearly your case). There are some slight issues, but nothing that would prevent a LiveCD from working.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air | iPad | iPhone | iPod Classic | iPod Shuffle | no more money
I believe the PC version of Ubuntu works fine on Intel Macs

OP
T

todd51

Since Macs essentially share the same components with PCs, I would say that LiveCDs should work on Macs just as well as they do on PCs.

You could always just try popping in the CD and see if it works. :black:

Yea well I don't have the Live CDs on me right now, they are back at my parent's house with my PC. I was just wanting to check and make sure before I went and downloaded one :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
I downloaded and tried a Ubuntu live CD for my G5 iMac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I made an edit to my initial post, so looks like you should be fine.

BTW, which LiveCD do you plan on running?

OP
T

todd51

Probably Ubuntu, would you recommend anything different? The main reason I didn't stick with it was because I didn't get some drivers to work properly with the wireless card in my old PC

That and I could NEVER for the life of me figure out the file organization in Linux.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just checked Ubuntu documentation, looks like it's the same situation for their LiveCD. You shouldn't face any issues. Even the wireless works out of the box :black:

Over the years I've tried to get myself to like Linux, but I just couldn't. It would always have hardware issues or require TOO much configuration. Sure, I like having control over my operating system, but Linux was just overboard. Then the really pretty versions like SUSE seemed to be like Windows in that they didn't let me control much and felt like the OS was holding my hand.

Oh yea, I could never figure out the Linux file system either, LOL :bomb:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.