• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

After 1 month it all changed

Reaction score
Well as a recent switcher I have to say I love my Mac. I have had some problems, and a few disappointments along the short path.

The day I got it I had to call apple support twice to have them help me find the apple loops for garage band (I hear that's pretty common).

After I installed the security patch awhile ago I got random disconnects from my router, and it would only reconnect when it wanted. Sometimes an hour sometime the next day there was no rhyme or reason. After two calls to apple support I had to reset the ram permissions or something??? I had to hold (ALT+COMMAND+P+R) while resarting not sure what it was but it worked.

I also found that you can't plug a microphone into the mac so if you need a headset get a USB headset. I know there are other ways,but the USB is a good fix.

Also yesterday somehow my desktop expanded so I had to scroll around the screen to see it all.

After those few whines I have to say overall my Mac experience was the greatest computer experience I had since the first computer I used; which was an apple IIc...let the circle be forever unbroken:) I have to say I have experienced all the great things about Macs that everyone posts about ease of use, eye candy, and the such. I also getting into video editing, and made my website the first day I had my Mac (thx iWeb). I guess I can say that if you tried to make me go back to PC's I would say "from my cold dead hands". I thought I had it all then it happened...QUICKSILVER

If you don't use this already take the time to get to know it. In it's simplest form it is an app launcher, in it's full form it does everything. I love it

Few tutorial pages
http://theappleblog.com/category/screencasts/

Quicksilver document page

http://www.43folders.com/topics/quicksilver/

And Merlin Mann from 43 folders did a podcast on Macbreak about quicksilver edisodes 12 and 17.
Podcasts page

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
Well, I am glad you finally managed to solve your problems and happy with the new Mac.

QuickSilver is a great app. I consider it as part of OS X. ;) Thank you for the links.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
I know it's a bit late now, but here are some thoughts on your problems:

1) Resetting the PRAM (Parameter RAM, like the BIOS settings of a PC, but handled automatically) is quite a common solution to strange, apparently hardware related issues. It's worth remembering that key combo just in case something odd happens in the future.

2) You can get USB 'sound cards' that have a normal 3.5mm stereo jack for microphone and speakers if you don't want to be stuck with a USB headset. I have found the built-in macbook microphone to be pretty good, though, if only mono.

3) OS X has a built-in zoom for the hard of seeing like myself :) Simply hold 'control' and either scroll the mouse wheel forward and back or use 2-finger-scroll on the trackpad up and down to zoom in and out.

Other than that, welcome to mac-forums. You'll never leave :D

OP
S
Reaction score
I had a feeling my 3 yoa had something to do with the zoom thing. She loves to take her picture in photo booth.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.